40 Gallon Tank Ammonia Poisoning

melissaashleigh

I left my husband in charge of the fish tank for a week while I went out of state and came back to the ammonia charts through the roof. All the way at .5. All the fish seem okay after a heavy water change except for one who appears to be dying, and I feel awful. He’s literally flipped over upside down in a hospital tank currently and swims up for air every 5-10 minutes. Will he make it? Should I mercy kill him? He’s a rummy nose tetra, I’ve had him for over a year. He’s got red streaking in his gills and even some spots on his body as well. He looks severely damaged from the ammonia. He’s just gasping upside down in the hospital tank currently.

vyrille

What are your water parameters now? I would suggest dosing seachem prime to detoxify the remaining ammonia in the tank if they're low enough. As for the tetra, the red streaking usually is sign of internal haemorrhage from ammonia poisoning, and I would not not have a favourable prognosis for him. however, you can do a 30min methylene blue dip for him at double dose and see if he responds.

melissaashleigh

What are your water parameters now? I would suggest dosing seachem prime to detoxify the remaining ammonia in the tank if they're low enough. As for the tetra, the red streaking usually is sign of internal haemorrhage from ammonia poisoning, and I would not not have a favourable prognosis for him. however, you can do a 30min methylene blue dip for him at double dose and see if he responds.

.25 ammonia, I’ll follow up with a second change tomorrow, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate. I don’t have seachem prime, just api’s stress coat, which I already added. I was given a ton of it for free so I’m still powering through it before switching to seachem. The only medications I have are the all natural cure for ich and melafix

So considering his state he’s probably going to die...is there a way to help him along peacefully? I hate seeing him suffer like this.

vyrille

.25 ammonia, I’ll follow up with a second change tomorrow, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate. I don’t have seachem prime, just api’s stress coat, which I already added. I was given a **** ton of it for free so I’m still powering through it before switching to seachem. The only medications I have are the all natural cure for ich and melafix 30]

So considering his state he’s probably going to die 24] 24]...is there a way to help him along peacefully? I hate seeing him suffer like this.

A quick knock on the head is relatively quick and painless, though not for the squeamish (personally I couldn't do this on my own fish, but no qualms when fishing...). Another way is clove oil. 10 drops per litre and mix well, well enough that the water has an odd oily feel to it, then put the fish in..

melissaashleigh

A quick knock on the head is relatively quick and painless, though not for the squeamish (personally I couldn't do this on my own fish, but no qualms when fishing...). Another way is clove oil. 10 drops per litre and mix well, well enough that the water has an odd oily feel to it, then put the fish in..

Thanks. He passed last night & my husbands fired from fishkeeping.

FishMommer

Sorry for your loss.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MrBryan723
Replies
Views
Toothless17
  • Question
  • jenb7123
  • Snails