Ammonia Poisoning?

Kaytlyn16

Reaction score
i did a water change 4 days ago. 2 days ago I lost one of my angels who was healthy. Then yesterday I lost 2 more angels and 2 baby bristlenose plecos. I had been working all weekend so I didn’t get to really see how they acted beforehand. Now I’m down to 1 angel. And I noticed he’s staying at the top for air and his gills are red. So I did a 90% water change this morning. Note: this tank as been up and running for over a year and the last time I added fish was about a month ago and it was just a bn pleco

6 hours later. He now has white spots like ick. So is this ammonia poisoning or something else? And how often should I being doing water changes now?

Water parameters
60 gallons
Temp 80F
Ammonia .25-.50ppm (the color is between the two)
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 40ppm.
Ph 7.4

I attached a pic of my last angel.

Attachments

FreshestFreshwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It is definitely ammonia poisoning and your angel looks like it has gill/ammonia burns. Anything above .25ppm is deadly for fish and you should definitely start doing some partial water changes right now. I suggest you do 50% water changes until your ammonia levels drop below .25ppm. Try to get your hands on treatments that can detoxify ammonia temporarily

pugletfan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you have any Prime water conditioner? It detoxes ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours up to 1 ppm of ammonia + nitrite. So if your ammonia + nitrite < 1, you can dose your tank with Prime and your fish will be protected for 24 hours. If ammonia + nitrite > 1, do a 50% water change (treat new water with Prime) and then dose your tank with Prime.

I think you can effectively treat ick with heat, raising tank temperature for several weeks. I'll let others guide you on this.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
At that level of ammonia, I don’t believe it would cause it’s fins to do that. It would stress them for sure. However, that looks likes fin rot. 40 ppm of nitrates is at the maximum level, you should be doing weekly water changes. 30-50%. What kind of filter do you have? To treat ich with heat, gradually raise the temperature to 88 and maintain that for 3 days. Turn it down to 86 for 4 days after. That’s how I’ve always done it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom