Ammonia & Ph Levels

1. L

Lovebug903 Valued Member Member

HI GUYS(AGAIN LOL)

Im going on day two now, my ammonia levels are .25s now) and ph has been OVER 7.6 for at least two weeks. I have a 3 gal filter(have not found one sufficent for Royal) so ive been doing 20% water changes every other day with PRIME. I tested my tap water a few minutes ago and the tap water is healthier than his tank water! ammonia levels reading 0ppm and ph 7.6 positively. What should i do? when i do water changes i add the prime directly to the tank. My future water changes, should i use the tap and NOT the prime since prime is in the tank and im only doing 20-25% changes?

P.S. Royal doesnt appear sick, but he has been hanging around the filter lately?

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Lee, I'd bump up the water changes to daily and not worry about the pH.
    Treat the new water you add to the tank with Prime to detox the ammonia..
    If the tank is only a few days old, you've just started the cycle.
    Be patient, cycled can take several weeks and sometimes over a month.

I hope he feels better, cycling is rough on fish.
    Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    L

Lovebug903 Valued Member Member

hes been in that tank since 1 week before christmas.

4. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

so about 2 weeks... you've got a bit to go still :)

5. f

fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Give it some more time and see what happens! :)

6. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

ph will jump all around while cycling ...i would up the changes to once a day as well...it will help the ammonia and lower the ph....20% is a great amount so he doesnt have a ph shock

7. M

Molly11 New Member Member

If it makes you feel any better, I rescued a betta from my cousin last week, we did testing on the tank and the ammonia was off the charts - 8.0 +
    Bettas are quite the hardy fish. I am sure that Mr. Fishie's life span is shortened(she had him for a year already) but atleast he's living in better conditions now.

Just do a 20% water change ever couple of days 3 or so. . .and use the prime - we pour our right into the tank. Also make sure when you are changing the filter not to do a water change. . .try taking some water out(put the water back in after) and dip the new filter into the tank water you took out this will help get the cycle on the new filter started. NEVER clean a filter under tap water as it will kill both the good and bad bacteria.

Good luck and I hope the levels lower soon for you.