Ammonia or bullying? Sick thick lipped gourami

GouramiGuy714

So about 5 months ago I got two male thick lipped gourami. They have been getting along fine with only a little bit of chasing from the bigger one. Lately the smaller one has been acting more lethargic and is being chased around and nipped at by the big one. He has lost a bit of color all around and has a bit of red around the gills. This red around the gills looks like ammonia burns but I tested and have no ammonia, no nitrite and around 10 ppm nitrate. Have had this 29 gal tank for a year and it has 2 thick lipped gourami, 6 harlequin rasboras, 5 cories, 1 oto (hoping to get more soon) and 2 guppies. A few days ago we got some Java ferns and Anubias, duckweed and guppy grass. The anubias quickly died and the leaves floated to the surface. Could ammonia have caused this? The 5 cories are new and I have seen them flashing a few times (not a lot though). Could it be ammonia hurting this thick lipped, or is it bullying? Thank in advance for any replies.

here are some pics
image.jpg

GouramiGuy714

This morning i tested for ammonia and have maybe somewhere between 0ppm and 0.25 could this much be doing anything? Also the java fern looks like it’s dying and it has brown spots on it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 7

ProudPapa

This morning i tested for ammonia and have maybe somewhere between 0ppm and 0.25 could this much be doing anything? Also the java fern looks like it’s dying and it has brown spots on it

No.

GouramiGuy714

If not ammonia any suggestions on what it could be?

GouramiGuy714

Unfortunately he died this morning:(

GouramiGuy714

Oh wait! He isn’t dead. He is in a different spot than earlier

Revan

I doubt ammonia levels that low would do anything. If you ask me, it's probably bullying from the other fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SuperSword48
  • SuperSword48
  • Gourami
Replies
Views
SuperSword48
Replies
Views
MacZ