Ammonia not going down

BobbyPickles1027

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of my fish just died so i did a water test and the ammonia test came back as 1.0 ppm i immediately did about a 40% water change and nothing has happened. Ammonia still at 1.0 ppm. Please help i do not know what to do. It is a 37 gal with (now 2) platys, 3 mollys, 10 neon tetras, 6 Julii Corys, 1 rubberlip Pleco and a dwarf gourami. Nitrates and nitrites are both 0.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Was the tank cycled? Have you tested your source water to get a base reading?

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Agreed. What is ammonia reading for tap water.

Your tank is not cycled.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Had already typed out the exact same thing as TWiG87 right as he posted it. I second that.

OP
BobbyPickles1027

BobbyPickles1027

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am testing the water now i will let you know when it is done. I am almost positive the tank was cycled. I used previous filter media and still waited about a week then got my water tested and it was all good.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BobbyPickles1027 said:
I am testing the water now i will let you know when it is done. I am almost positive the tank was cycled. I used previous filter media and still waited about a week then got my water tested and it was all good.
Were you providing the tank any ammonia during that week you waited? The parameters may have been "all good" because there was no source of ammonia being provided to begin with. Your current parameters definitely indicate (whether or not it was cycled) that right now it is not cycled.

OP
BobbyPickles1027

BobbyPickles1027

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My water source is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates and 0 nitrites.

OP
BobbyPickles1027

BobbyPickles1027

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had a filter in from my already cycled tank if that counts.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BobbyPickles1027 said:
I had a filter in from my already cycled tank if that counts.
So what I'm understanding is you moved the cycled filter from an aged tank over to the new tank, and you did not dose any ammonia during that one week it was running without fish?

How long has this tank been stocked? I suspect that even if that filter was cycled, it does not currently have enough bacteria in it from most going dormant during that week of no ammonia to compensate for your current stock of fish.

I would do a 75%+ water change daily to try to get that ammonia down below 0.25ppm and keep it there until the bacteria can catch up.

OP
BobbyPickles1027

BobbyPickles1027

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My tank has been fully stocked for about 3 weeks but i first started adding fish about 8 weeks ago.

OP
BobbyPickles1027

BobbyPickles1027

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
also that is correct. I did not does any ammonia. I am fairly new at fish keeping and i did a ton of research before getting the tank but i did not know you were supposed to dose with ammonia:

OP
BobbyPickles1027

BobbyPickles1027

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Would adding a filter from my cycled tank to my 37 gal help the ammonia go down?

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BobbyPickles1027 said:
Would adding a filter from my cycled tank to my 37 gal help the ammonia go down?
Yes, but then what about the fish in your cycled tank? Just pull out no more than 50% of the filter media to transfer over.

If you have had fish in the tank for 8 weeks, it is impossible to have zeros across the board. You would be showing nitrates if the tank is cycled and ammonia and nitrites if it is not.

I would encourage you to find the threads on the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling and read up so you know how to cycle a tank.

At this point, I would suggest using stability and prime to do daily water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites under 1ppm. What are you using to test?

New Threads