Ammonia Not Going Down

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Messages
502
Reaction score
81
Points
63
Experience
1 year
20 gal tank
Temp 76
Ph 8.3
Ammonia 1
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

We upgraded tanks 2 weeks ago almost and our ammonia has been 1ppm for a week and a half now. Using prime and stability, stability for a week today.

Any idea why ammonia staying at 1? It doesn’t go up or down.
Our tap has 1ppm of ammonia but we’ve only done 2 50% water changes in the 2 weeks since we upgraded.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Messages
502
Reaction score
81
Points
63
Experience
1 year
Fanatic said:
Is your tank cycled?
I would suggest doing daily water changes, that'll keep ammonia down.
Our tap has 1ppm of ammonia though. So it seems to make it worse. No not cycled. Our 10 gallon was almost besides .25 ammonia but when we upgraded ammonia went up.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,411
Reaction score
8,224
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
By accidentally running untreated water through this tank the original bacteria was killed. You are basically starting from scratch. It is going to take time an patience to get back to where you were before the accident. You cycled once. I trust that you can do it again.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Messages
502
Reaction score
81
Points
63
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
By accidentally running untreated water through this tank the original bacteria was killed. You are basically starting from scratch. It is going to take time an patience to get back to where you were before the accident. You cycled once. I trust that you can do it again.
See I have someone that thinks I didn’t lose it all or the ammonia would be super high by now. So I keep thinking we didn’t lose any BB. Since nitrate is close to 5 again.
 

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Messages
2,682
Reaction score
1,849
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
If youre tank isnt cycled AND youre using water that contains 1ppm of ammonia, thats why it isnt going down. If your water doesnt have nitrates and your tank does, your BB is working.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Messages
502
Reaction score
81
Points
63
Experience
1 year
DuaneV said:
If youre tank isnt cycled AND youre using water that contains 1ppm of ammonia, thats why it isnt going down. If your water doesnt have nitrates and your tank does, your BB is working.
We’ve only done 2 water changes in 2 weeks with the 1ppm of ammonia tap and it still hasn’t gone down. Our tap doesn’t have nitrates.
 

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Messages
1,348
Reaction score
830
Points
98
Experience
4 years
Nicole B said:
See I have someone that thinks I didn’t lose it all or the ammonia would be super high by now. So I keep thinking we didn’t lose any BB. Since nitrate is close to 5 again.
you may not have killed all your BB since you have nitrates. but you killed enough to set you back. it's been a week using stability and the tap ammonia is considerable. you could double the stability dose to see if that speeds it up or continue what you're doing ... but either way the key here is patience.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Messages
502
Reaction score
81
Points
63
Experience
1 year
Jenoli42 said:
you may not have killed all your BB since you have nitrates. but you killed enough to set you back. it's been a week using stability and the tap ammonia is considerable. you could double the stability dose to see if that speeds it up or continue what you're doing ... but either way the key here is patience.
Would 2 threads be too much? We are being patient this time but wondering why the ammonia stays the same. Had to replace the filter cartridge so just took the old one and stuffed them behind both filters. Hoping for the best!!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Messages
502
Reaction score
81
Points
63
Experience
1 year
Jenoli42 said:
what do you mean by "threads," sorry?
Whoops sorry I meant 2 capfuls! Lol

I’m sure everyone is annoyed of me always posting new threads but this gets so confusing. Honestly didn’t know fish keeping was so complicated but it’s worth it and still have all of our fish from the beginning and they are still happy and healthy. And really appreciate all the advice! I don’t understand things easily. Lol
 

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Messages
1,348
Reaction score
830
Points
98
Experience
4 years
Nicole B said:
Whoops sorry I meant 2 capfuls! Lol
in my experience that's fine. others on here are very skeptical about bottled bacteria. fair enough, too.

when I had *some* cycled media to start with in a 5g QT I used a full cap full daily for 10 days & was cycled. that's way over the doseage but it worked a charm... remember that every tank is different tho
 

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Messages
2,682
Reaction score
1,849
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish keeping really isnt complicated if youre keeping hardy, freshwater, fish.

The problem is people dont know or understand the "cycle", and they dont understand aquarium company marketing. Case in point: You never have to "replace" filter cartridges (Im assuming youre talking about those store bought ones that are charcoal in a SOS type pouch). When doing regular water changes (which MUST be done to keep nitrates down) you simply remove the filter media be it a cartridge, sponge or what have you, and swish it around in some of the dirty tank water youve taken out. Once youve given it a good swish, simply put it back in the filter. Replacing it restarts your cycle every time.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Messages
502
Reaction score
81
Points
63
Experience
1 year
DuaneV said:
Fish keeping really isnt complicated if youre keeping hardy, freshwater, fish.

The problem is people dont know or understand the "cycle", and they dont understand aquarium company marketing. Case in point: You never have to "replace" filter cartridges (Im assuming youre talking about those store bought ones that are charcoal in a SOS type pouch). When doing regular water changes (which MUST be done to keep nitrates down) you simply remove the filter media be it a cartridge, sponge or what have you, and swish it around in some of the dirty tank water youve taken out. Once youve given it a good swish, simply put it back in the filter. Replacing it restarts your cycle every time.
Yes I have done that many times and it was still clogged and not working right making the filter over flow. We had to replace it. I still took apart the old one and stuffed it infront of new cartridge. Also have another filter running beside it that’s been going for 2 weeks so how is that restarting a cycle?
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,411
Reaction score
8,224
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Nicole B said:
See I have someone that thinks I didn’t lose it all or the ammonia would be super high by now. So I keep thinking we didn’t lose any BB. Since nitrate is close to 5 again.
If you keep asking the same questions about the same problem eventually you will get the answer you want but that doesn't mean it is the correct answer. I know it is hard to accept but chlorine kills bacteria. That is why it is put in our tap water to begin with.

I am thinking you still have the nitrates hanging around from when your tank was cycled but I can't say that as a fact. Maybe they are coming from the clogged filter you are talking about in another thread and now this one as I was typing.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Messages
502
Reaction score
81
Points
63
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
If you keep asking the same questions about the same problem eventually you will get the answer you want but that doesn't mean it is the correct answer. I know it is hard to accept but chlorine kills bacteria. That is why it is put in our tap water to begin with.

I am thinking you still have the nitrates hanging around from when your tank was cycled but I can't say that as a fact. Maybe they are coming from the clogged filter you are talking about in another thread and now this one as I was typing.
Ok I guess I should stop asking since everyone likes to be rude on here.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,411
Reaction score
8,224
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Nicole B said:
Ok I guess I should stop asking since everyone likes to be rude on here.
I truly am sorry. I didn't mean for it to sound rude. I just want you to know you are basically having to start your cycle from almost the start and knowing that you can take the right steps to get it back on track
 

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Messages
1,348
Reaction score
830
Points
98
Experience
4 years
Nicole B said:
Ok I guess I should stop asking since everyone likes to be rude on here.
hi. I don't think anyone has been rude on this thread, sorry? mattgirl is one of the nicest & most patient members.

you said you've posted many threads and I'll bet she's tried to help several times? that's not being rude in my mind?

I don't think she was being rude about you asking many people about the same thing... I took her point as meaning many people who don't have experience still have opinions, so take advice with caution

im also not intending to be rude - she's helped me out many many times so I want to make sure you don't misinterpret her when she's a wealth of good advice
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,411
Reaction score
8,224
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Jenoli42 said:
hi. I don't think anyone has been rude on this thread, sorry? mattgirl is one of the nicest & most patient members.

you said you've posted many threads and I'll bet she's tried to help several times? that's not being rude in my mind?

I don't think she was being rude about you asking many people about the same thing... I took her point as meaning many people who don't have experience still have opinions, so take advice with caution

im also not intending to be rude - she's helped me out many many times so I want to make sure you don't misinterpret her when she's a wealth of good advice
Thank you sweetie. It is so hard to put thoughts into words without it being taken wrong.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom