20 Gallon Tank Ammonia levels!??

Mcewenstank

So I just recently got an ammonia test kit, I've never done an ammonia test before until now. I tested my 20 gallon and got an ammonia level of about 1.5 -2 and the same with my 10 gallon I had a level about 2. How do I get rid of the ammonia? And what is the cause, I have a big 30 gall filter on my 20 gall tank and a large sponge filter. I dont know if I have too many fish or what and if I do have to many fish what do I do with them? I am very new the the hole testing levels. And just want to make sure everything is ok. I have molly fry and I dont want the ammonia to kill them!

JettsPapa

The only way to lower it quickly is with water changes. Remove up to 50% of the water and replace it with fresh water, then test again, and do another one if the ammonia levels are still at or above 1.0 ppm.

Are these new tanks?

Dunk2

Your tank isn’t cycled. Read this. . .
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

As JettsPapa said, the only way to control ammonia and eventually nitrite levels during the cycling process is with water changes.

Did you buy a test kit or just an ammonia test? You’ll want to be able to test nitrites, nitrates and pH. I’d suggest the API Master Test kit. I’d also suggest Seachem Prime. . . It’s a dechlorinator and will help protect your fish until your tank is fully cycled.

Fisch

I think this is a case where the Emergency Template comes handy, otherwise there are a lot of questions and assumptions.

Mcewenstank

JettsPapa said:
The only way to lower it quickly is with water changes. Remove up to 50% of the water and replace it with fresh water, then test again, and do another one if the ammonia levels are still at or above 1.0 ppm.

Are these new tanks?
They are semi new tanks 20gallon is a month and the 10 gall is 2 months,
I did a 70% water change on my 20 gallon, and completely cleaned my substrate, and tested again and I'm back down to 0.
I am about to do a water change on my 10 gallon and hopefully get It down like the 20 gallon.
Dunk2 said:
Your tank isn’t cycled. Read this. . .
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

As JettsPapa said, the only way to control ammonia and eventually nitrite levels during the cycling process is with water changes.

Did you buy a test kit or just an ammonia test? You’ll want to be able to test nitrites, nitrates and pH. I’d suggest the API Master Test kit. I’d also suggest Seachem Prime. . . It’s a dechlorinator and will help protect your fish until your tank is fully cycled.
I have a wardley senior deluxe ph test kit, and an ammonia test kit, I do not have nitrite test kit. I also use api stress coat/tap water conditioner. Also used safe start when first started aquarium and let it run for a full week before I put fish in. I've done everything a newbie would know to do.lol I just did a 70% water change and tested my levels again and my ph is at 7.4 and ammonia is back to 0.

JettsPapa

1. It sounds like they aren't cycled yet. Keep testing ammonia and changing water as needed. You might want to consider getting a API liquid test kit. It's widely recommended, and tests for nitrites and nitrates along with ammonia and pH.
  2. It's great that you got it down to 0, but I'd take it easy on cleaning anything. The beneficial bacteria that processes ammonia and nitrites is on all tank surfaces, so when you clean you likely remove some of it. Also, I don't know what type of filtration you have, but don't throw any of the filter media away, regardless of what the instructions tell you. If it gets clogged rinse it in a bucket of water you've removed from the tank and put it back.
  3. You probably don't need to keep checking your pH.
  4. You're right about doing everything most newbies do, including me.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom