Ammonia Levels Question 

mikee86

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I upgraded from my 60 gallon to a 125. I moved over my FX4, rocks, and about 50 lbs of sand into my new tank. I did also add a fx6 for more filtration and obviously more sand for the 125 gallon. I woke up this morning and everything is zero except I’m getting low ammonia levels (.25). I checked it again about 12 hrs later and still have the same reading. Any ideas why?!?! The fx4 was easily cycling my 60 gallon with no issues

NickGNz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s probably a mini cycle because of the changeover. I would just test daily to keep an eye on it and do a water change if the ammonia starts to go up.

kered

Valued Member
Reaction score
That amount of ammonia could be read/test error deoending on what you used to test, as long as its not rising you should be ok, also i think an FX6 is overkill what you have is well within the capabilities of an FX4, filter size should be based on bioload not tank size, I have seen many a tank that size run on HOB filters without problems

mikee86

Valued Member
Reaction score
Can’t go wrong with over filtration. Plus I have 30 plus African cichlids

Thanks for the input

kered

Valued Member
Reaction score
Personally i think You can over filter, why have a 600bhp muscle car if your restricted to 30mph, its a waste of money and energy. If an fx4 keeps your parameters correct why use an FX 6 other than for bragging rights

Tez

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mikee86 A month ago i upgraded to a 60 gal from a 22 and everything from their went over even the used filters regarding the carbon and ammonia media and just topped the tank up with about 30% of normal water.
The first two weeks readings ran 0 on ammonia and nitrite and nitrate 5.0ppm and into the 3rd week ammonia kicked in at 0.25, sent my nitrite to 2.0ppm and nitrate 40.0ppm, i've been doing regular 25% water changes since last week and nitrite is 0 and nitrate 5.0ppm but ammonia is sitting there at 0.25ppm but what we did was good as we carried over good water besides Algae and it sounds like we both are having a slight cycle going on.

mikee86

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tez!!!

At Kered. Thank you for your input which had nothing to do with the original post. It’s a good thing it’s not your money nor your energy. And just a little backpiece on the FX6.....I’m seeding it for another tank down the line. But again...thank you.

kered

Valued Member
Reaction score
A random pick or dozens of videos on the subject that explains why too much filtration is not good. just write in youtube search over filtering an aquarium and watch a few, most of them are well respected aquarists. The video link might answer your question better than i did.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads