Ammonia Levels Won't Go Down

smaurer3076

Active Member
Member
Messages
245
Reaction score
50
Location
North Carolina
Experience
2 years
I did a 75 % water change yesterday and I checked my parameters that afternoon and my ammonia and nitrite levels were both at .25 ppm! I did a 25% after that and then this morning (about an hour ago) I did a 50% water change and I checked my ammonia level (Haven't checked Nitrite yet) and it's still at .25%! I added Prime and Stability as a precaution but it still is not working!
 

Kiks

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,194
Reaction score
510
Experience
5 to 10 years
What size tank is this?
What fish do you have in the tank?
What test kit are you using?
 

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,687
Reaction score
3,614
Location
Aberdeen Wa
Experience
2 years
Prime will not remove the ammonia, it just converts it to its non-toxic form ammonium. So it will still show up on the tests.

Can I get some background info? How big is your tank? What is your stocking? What kind of filter? Have you tested your tap water parameters lately? When you do your water change did you leave your filter media in place?

We can get you through this. It sounds like a hiccup in your cycle. We will work it out.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
smaurer3076

smaurer3076

Active Member
Member
Messages
245
Reaction score
50
Location
North Carolina
Experience
2 years
AllieSten said:
Prime will not remove the ammonia, it just converts it to its non-toxic form ammonium. So it will still show up on the tests.

Can I get some background info? How big is your tank? What is your stocking? What kind of filter? Have you tested your tap water parameters lately? When you do your water change did you leave your filter media in place?

We can get you through this. It sounds like a hiccup in your cycle. We will work it out.
I have a 75 gallon community tank with angelfish, discus, Colombian tetras, lemon tetras, mystery snails, bettas, and vampire shrimp. It's been cycled since February. I have a sump with a 396 GPH pump. No, I am on well water so I have no idea how to test that. Would I use my liquid test kit? And yes I left my filter media in my sump but I did suck the old food out of it but everything stayed where it was. I also cleaned out my overflow because there was LOTS of old food down there that pest snails were eating. But thank you VERY much!
 

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,687
Reaction score
3,614
Location
Aberdeen Wa
Experience
2 years
Yes, use your test kit and test your tap water with it. This will let us know if you have ammonia in your tap water. It can happen out of the blue sometimes. Since you dosed with Prime at least your fish are safe for now.

If you do have ammonia in your tap, I would wait 24 hours and retest your tank. Your bacteria should convert all that ammonia on its own and go back to 0 within 24 hours.

But test your tap first. We can go from there.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
smaurer3076

smaurer3076

Active Member
Member
Messages
245
Reaction score
50
Location
North Carolina
Experience
2 years
AllieSten said:
Yes, use your test kit and test your tap water with it. This will let us know if you have ammonia in your tap water. It can happen out of the blue sometimes. Since you dosed with Prime at least your fish are safe for now.

If you do have ammonia in your tap, I would wait 24 hours and retest your tank. Your bacteria should convert all that ammonia on its own and go back to 0 within 24 hours.

But test your tap first. We can go from there.
Okay I'll do that right now!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
smaurer3076

smaurer3076

Active Member
Member
Messages
245
Reaction score
50
Location
North Carolina
Experience
2 years
b4518f130465bc2a19062a00a6af9b26.jpg


UPDATE: I just tested my tap and this is what came up on the ammonia result.
 

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,687
Reaction score
3,614
Location
Aberdeen Wa
Experience
2 years
smaurer3076 said:
b4518f130465bc2a19062a00a6af9b26.jpg


UPDATE: I just tested my tap and this is what came up on the ammonia result.
How are you reading the result? To me it looks like 0.25ppm but it may look different to you.
 

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,687
Reaction score
3,614
Location
Aberdeen Wa
Experience
2 years
Ok so you have ammonia in your tap water then. Well you at least know where it is coming from. Since it is only 0.25ppm and you use Prime, I wouldn't worry. Recheck your tank parameters in 24 hours and see if it returned back to 0. It should if your cycle is intact. You will just have to be aware when you do water changes you are adding ammonia, so be sure to add Prime every single time. It protects up to 1ppm.

I don't know if you use a tank filler, but I would dose Prime for your full tank volume. Directly into the tank, before adding your tap water to the tank. That way the Prime is in there ready to work before you even add the water with ammonia in there.

If you wanted to you could double your dose of Prime with your water changes, totally safe, and totally up to you. I use double dose Prime for my chlorine levels in my water. So I know it is ok. Seachem even says it is ok to use double dose routinely. But again totally up to you.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
smaurer3076

smaurer3076

Active Member
Member
Messages
245
Reaction score
50
Location
North Carolina
Experience
2 years
AllieSten said:
Ok so you have ammonia in your tap water then. Well you at least know where it is coming from. Since it is only 0.25ppm and you use Prime, I wouldn't worry. Recheck your tank parameters in 24 hours and see if it returned back to 0. It should if your cycle is intact. You will just have to be aware when you do water changes you are adding ammonia, so be sure to add Prime every single time. It protects up to 1ppm.

I don't know if you use a tank filler, but I would dose Prime for your full tank volume. Directly into the tank, before adding your tap water to the tank. That way the Prime is in there ready to work before you even add the water with ammonia in there.

If you wanted to you could double your dose of Prime with your water changes, totally safe, and totally up to you. I use double dose Prime for my chlorine levels in my water. So I know it is ok. Seachem even says it is ok to use double dose routinely. But again totally up to you.
Ok can do! What is a tank filler? And today I added it when I first started filling in so I hope everything pans out! And I use 4 cap fulls, so does that mean I should use 8 then?
 

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,687
Reaction score
3,614
Location
Aberdeen Wa
Experience
2 years
Ohhhh you don't have a tank filler. You NEEEEDDD one. It is so nice. I have a Python . You literally hook it up to your kitchen sink, and it uses suction via a vacuum created by your tap water. So it siphons the water off while you vacuum, empties it directly into your sink, so no carrying buckets. Then when it is time to fill the tank, you flip a switch and it fills your tank for you. I can clean my 29 gallon in about 20 minutes start to finish. Not a bucket in sight.

75 gallon dose of Prime is 7.5ml or 1 1/2 teaspoons. Double dose is 15ml. So it would be 3 teaspoons for a double dose. I would measure the amount, and not go on capfuls. Just to make sure you get the right dose.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
smaurer3076

smaurer3076

Active Member
Member
Messages
245
Reaction score
50
Location
North Carolina
Experience
2 years
AllieSten said:
Ohhhh you don't have a tank filler. You NEEEEDDD one. It is so nice. I have a Python . You literally hook it up to your kitchen sink, and it uses suction via a vacuum created by your tap water. So it siphons the water off while you vacuum, empties it directly into your sink, so no carrying buckets. Then when it is time to fill the tank, you flip a switch and it fills your tank for you. I can clean my 29 gallon in about 20 minutes start to finish. Not a bucket in sight.

75 gallon dose of Prime is 7.5ml or 1 1/2 teaspoons. Double dose is 15ml. So it would be 3 teaspoons for a double dose. I would measure the amount, and not go on capfuls. Just to make sure you get the right dose.
OHHHH I have a python lol! I thought a tank filler was something with filtration lol! But I will get a measuring spoon for future uses! And thank you for your help!
 

TwoHedWlf

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,870
Reaction score
1,225
Location
Wellington, NZ
Experience
More than 10 years
Plus or minus .25 ppm is pretty much the accuracy of these tests without a lot of practice, calibrated lighting, calibrated eyeballs, etc.

If it's been cycled since february and you haven't done something like dump a whole container of fish food in the tank then I'd be skeptical that you have any measurable ammonia. And on that size tank, with even vaguely competent filtration it could handle an increase in ammonia in a few days easy.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
smaurer3076

smaurer3076

Active Member
Member
Messages
245
Reaction score
50
Location
North Carolina
Experience
2 years
f4a9be0bbf8d71bc3af94a9cdc45ce00.jpg


I'm gonna open up this discussion again because I am having the same issues as last time. My ammonia levels still won't go down and I know it's my water this time (well) but my ammonia levels are still at .25
 

TwoHedWlf

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,870
Reaction score
1,225
Location
Wellington, NZ
Experience
More than 10 years
You don't look at the vial through your blinds to the yard outside to tell the color. You hold it against the white part of the color chart out in the daylight. Go outside and take a picture like that, You're stressing out over it showing "None to close enough to none it doesn't matter"
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
241
Guests online
3,785
Total visitors
4,026

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom