Ammonia Level's Rising PLEASE HELP

Mercutio727

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey, my ammonia levels are rising a little bit to .25 mg/L so I did a 10 gallon water change on my 30 gallon and I haven't seen a little change. What else can I do to lower the ammonia levels?
x

Last edited:

Mercutio727

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My ammonia levels have been at 0 for like 4 weeks, I was curious to know if it might be cause excess food. All other levels are great according to my test kits

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is this the tank that you started 5 weeks ago? You're probably not cycled. Are you cycling the tank with fish?

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am not sure if you are cycling with fish or not. I tried to cycle a tank with fish and it was a very slow process. After several weeks I went for a while with ammonia and 0 and nitrites at 0. I thought I was cycled but I was not. After about 7 more weeks I finally gave up and used TSS. Let us know how you cycled the tank and what fish you have in it now.

Mercutio727

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey everyone, I purchased the Tetra Safe Start, since I thought it just introduced all the beneficial bacteria needed for a healthy tank. Four weeks ago I bought 5 cardinal tetras and used the TSS for 30 gallon fish tank. 1.5 weeks later I bought 3 Cory Catfish and purchased ANOTHER bottle of TSS for 10 gallon tanks to be on the safe side. (So I guess from what you all are saying is that I AM cycling with fish.)

Now since then I have been checking the chemicals every other day and they have been great with regards to pH,Nitrites, and Ammonia (I'm picking up a kit tomorrow that tests for Nitrates).

So as of now the tank has been running for 5 weeks now. Only running 4 weeks WITH fish. Did I screw the pooch?

Thanks again for everyone's advice

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if you are running the tank with several fish and you are getting consistent 0's for ammonia and nitrites then i would assume that its cycled.

Was the rise in ammonia linked with adding new fish to the tank?

Mercutio727

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No, the rise wasn't related to additional fish being added. However, I have been feeding the Tetras 2 small meals a day because they seemed hungrier. With regards to the food, they ate it all within 2 minutes. (I felt bad for my Corys)

So is this just related to the additional feeding then?

Furthermore, after looking over my testing log, I have been testing since 4/26 and been consistently getting <0.3mg/L for Nitrites (I'm getting a better kit that shows the EXACT # so not to worry) and 0.0 mg/L for Ammonia (the only spike I had was after I added the Cory Catfish upon which I changed the water and it was back down to 0)

So according to what you all know and my data, does this mean the tank is cycled?

Thanks for everyones input.

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you are getting spikes from small additions then even if you are cycled you may need extra media (ceramic, bioballs, filter floss) to give the bacteria something to colonize on. If you've already done this then disregard.

Mercutio727

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So jeta, I feel stupid, just did the test again for both tank and tap water. They both came up 0.0 the problem with my kit is the 0 and .25 colors are very similar. But I will continue to check it every other day to ensure they are ok. Thanks

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lol it happens all the time, the good thing is you are keeping on top of it.

Personally once I get a tank reading 0,0,<5 then instead of testing daily i start testing every other day, then after a few weeks i start testing twice a week, etc etc. After that I just test during weekly water change or if anything looks out of order.

Mercutio727

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
yeah, on another note, (this ties over to my other thread) but I am having a problem acquiring MTS. The LFS around me treat them like pests so they don't have any. What do you recommend?

Mercutio727

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So now my ammonia levels are still rising. I checked my water today. Nitrites were 0 ammonia was 1.5 ppm and nitrates were 12.3 ppm. Sadly I lost my male swordtail. Don't know why but he never ate at all. All the other fish aren't acting any different. Could something have happened with the beneficial bacteria? Please help. I'm going to pick up more tetra safe start to add more to the tank.

Mercutio727

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I should also add that my pH is still 7.0. Furthermore, with regards to "things" good bacteria can join to: ar driftwood and other ornaments good for them to bind to?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi again Mercutio,

Your PH is fine. What all fish do you have in there? 30 g tank, right?

The good bacteria are most concentrated in the area with the most water flow, like the filter.

How often are you doing water changes? Are you conditioning with prime?

Mercutio727

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey jeta, so as of now I have 10 cardinal tetras, 3 cory catfish, only one sword tail (lost the male last night), one small pleco, and I have a mts hiding around there somewhere.

Yes it is the 30 gallon tank. I have been testingthe water every other day and when the water was at about 1.5-2.0 I did a 10 gallon change. The ammonia will drop and then go back up. I always treat the water with Aquasafe at each water change and I also make sure the temperatures are equal.

Furthermore, I use a little bit of nutrafin cycle at each water change. Am I doing something wrong? I'm bummed I lost the male swordtail. What can I do?

steveredlakefallsmn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i am having the same problem,o nitrites 5.o nitrates,4.0 ammonia,i am also doing water changes and using ammonia safe,it will be good for a couple of days and whammo the ammonia is back again.my fish are doing great,so it seems.i have a pleco that is about 5 or 6 inches long,and was wondering if it is to big for my 30gal as well.lots of pleco poo when i do water changes.only other fish are 1 platy,2 mollies.sorry for the hijacking of this thread.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom