Ammonia Levels Questionable

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Reaction score
Jenoli42 said:
your exact levels before & after your water change will help.

what size tank & what live critters are in it?
Hi thanks for helping! Levels a week or so ago: am:0
Ni:0
na: 5ppm
ph:7.4

Levels before water change today:
Am:0.25 - 0.50ppm
Ni: 0.25
Na: 5ppm
Ph:7.4

Levels after water change today:
Am: 0.25 - 0.50
Na: didn’t test
Ph: didn’t test

I have a 2.5 g tank and one male Betta in the tank... also one Anubias plant and one small moss ball

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Savwingrove said:
Hi thanks for helping! Levels a week or so ago: am:0
na: 5ppm
ph:7.4

Levels before water change today:
Am:0.25 - 0.50ppm
Ni: 0.25
Na: 5ppm
Ph:7.4

Levels after water change today:
Am: 0.25 - 0.50
Na: didn’t test
Ph: didn’t test

I have a 2.5 g tank and one male Betta in the tank... also one Anubias plant and one small moss ball
sounds like your bacteria are catching up to the betta bio load... how much are you feeding him?

are you using any fertiliser for your plant?

your ammonia may be spiking because of over feeding or ammonia in plant fertiliser.

was the plant in the tank while you were cycling?

some people hate using bottled bacteria but ice had success using SeaChem stability daily for up to 2 weeks when my cycle had mini spikes like yours is.

If my ammonia + nitrites were less than 1ppm combined total, I used prime & stability & no water change.

if my ammonia & nitrites were above 1ppm total combined, I did a 50% wc & then used prime & stability when adding new water.

keep in mind that your bacteria only grow to process the amount of food they have. that means the amount of ammonia. so while you were cycling the first few weeks you only grew your bacterial colony as much as could process the bioload or ammonia you had. if you've added any source of ammonia since, your bacteria just need a week or two to catch up.

being cycled doesn't mean having an established tank. so these blips are normal until you've got your load and bacteria in balance

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Reaction score
I feed him 3-4 Pellets morning and night and then twice a week bloodworms... every time he spits something out or doesn’t eat it I take it out immediately... every time I see something at bottom of tank I take it out... no fertilizer for the plant. Plants were in the tank the whole time and unfortunately so was the Betta because I didn’t know about the cycle! I’m gonna purchase some stability then! Putting the stability and prime in isnt too much together? Thanks you! Your information will be used!

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Savwingrove said:
I feed him 3-4 Pellets morning and night and then twice a week bloodworms... every time he spits something out or doesn’t eat it I take it out immediately... every time I see something at bottom of tank I take it out... no fertilizer for the plant. Plants were in the tank the whole time and unfortunately so was the Betta because I didn’t know about the cycle! I’m gonna purchase some stability then! Putting the stability and prime in isnt too much together? Thanks you! Your information will be used!
Stability is bottled bacteria. so you want to dose the amount on the bottle (you cant really hurt fish with extra good bacteria). i believe the bottle says 1 capful (5mil) per 40L for first starting out, or 1 capful for 80L maintaining. you want the lesser dose. if your tank is just 2.5g = 10L then you can just do slightly under 1/4 - 1/2 a cap daily (if you can pour directly into your filter, that's best. if not, in the water near the filter intake is fine.) again, it won't hurt your fish and you're only potentially wasting money if you use more than necessary.

prime is a water conditioner (eg, it dechlorinates tap water) and ammonia/nitrite detoxifier. i recommend only using the amount it says on the bottle for your total tank volume. that may mean you need a dropper because your tank volume is quite small. you can dose up to 5x the amount it suggests in an emergency, but you don't have an emergency. you have a manageable blip.

the two are designed to be used together.

good luck! hopefully all the blips will be gone within a week. if they continue past 2 weeks, we should figure out if there's anything else going on...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom