Ammonia Level Sky High. Help

1. Basicfgts

Basicfgts Valued Member Member

So i just did a water change for my axolotl yesterday. He wont eat today so i went and checked my water levels and oh boy, are they high. I already put some safestart plus to see if that would help reduce the ammonia, and ive already put drops to help reduce my ph level and i was wondering if anyone had any tips or help because as a first axolotl owner i dont want to lose him to ammonia levels. I was thinking about doing another 25% water change. IMG_0335.jpg

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Oh holy moly, do a 50% immediately. Don’t chemically alter your PH, it’s terrible for fish because it’s artificial and doesn’t actually solve the issue. A stable PH is a healthy PH. You need Seachem Prime, it’s a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. When did you set the tank up?

3. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

Ive had my tank for a good 2/3 months now. Not once have i ever had my levels spike this high. I am gonna do a 50% as we speak.

4. AquaticJ

What’s the tank size and what type of filter? Did you recently replace your media? Is it just one axolotl?

5. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

My tank is a 20G long. Yes, just one axolotl at the moment. I did do a water change yesterday, it was the day to do the water change. I cleaned the sand, all the stuff inside it. Rinsed my filter and media up because sand loves to clog up my filter.

I haven’t replaced my media and i have a flueval filter.

6. AquaticJ

What did you rinse all your media with? In the sink?

7. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

Just water tbh.

8. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Valued Member Member

9. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

I definitely used tap water. I honestly didnt even think about that at the time. Well im done doing my 50% water change. What would you recommend for treating this?

10. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Tap water, or tank water? There is chlorine in tap water. Chlorine kills beneficial bacteria colonies.

EDIT - I just saw you said tap water.

11. IHaveADogToo

Change your water conditioner to Seachem Prime. It's a dechlorinator and water conditioner, but it also temporarily detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for up to 48 hours. The ammonia will still be in your water, but it won't be toxic for up to 48 hours. Other water conditioners don't detoxify ammonia and nitrite like that.

Also, looking at your test result, what is that reading? 4? Wow. If your ammonia level is 4, a 50% water change will only bring it down to 2. You're going to have to do a major water change to get rid of that ammonia. Like, at least 75%. More if you can. Heck, even 75% would only bring an ammonia reading of 4 down to 1. You might have to do a few water changes to really dilute that ammonia.

12. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

I drained almost all of the water out of my tank. I did another test. Image1529003106.497224.jpg

So would you recommend doing another water change today or wait until tomorrow?

Plus i do own some dr tims one and only live nitrifying bacteria and some ammonium chloride solution.

13. IHaveADogToo

I would either do another water change, to further dilute that ammonia, or I would go buy a bottle of seachem prime and use that to detoxify the ammonia. Maybe even do both. Note, if you use Prime, you're still going to have to deal with the ammonia again in 48 hours, be that with another dose of Prime, or another water change.

14. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

15. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

Well i did purchase some of the prime but it wont be here until the 19th. So i guess its daily water changes until then!

16. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

All right. Good luck!