Ammonia Issues

1. Heather M Well Known Member Member

I have been having ammonia issues in my tank. I have a 10g betta tank that is not cycled. Shame on me, I know. I just fell in love with the little guy and I didn't want him to die at Walmart. Anyway, the ammonia readings have been high. If I use Aqueon brand ammonia Neutralizer, will it keep the tank from cycling? How can I cycle with the least ammount of stress on my betta? :animal0028:

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Are you familar with tetra safe start?

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

either partial daily water changes and prime, or find some tetra safestart...the Aqueon neutrailizer, needs to make sure the ammonia is still available for the cycle process, but not harmful to the fish...prime will do that but im not familiar with the aqueon version...maybe other members are

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Is the betta tank the only one you have? If you've got an already-cycled tank, you can use filter media from the cycled tank to cycle the betta's tank.
    Alternately, if you have a friend with an established tank, you can use filter media from that to cycle.

5. Heather M Well Known Member Member

I tried using the filter media from my brother's tank. For some reason it didn't work. The pet stores in my area do not carry safestart. I e-mailed the customer service at drs foster and smith and they said it isn't a good idea to ship safestart to my area this time of year. It's too cold.

6. Jackie Frost Member Member

You need to live in Florida. Winter doesn't exsist here.;D

Jut kidding. I think some people will ship Tetra Safe Start with heat packs. Try www.aquariumplants.com. They may ship with heat packs though I don't gurantee it. The heat packs are sure to cost extra too.

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

you could just do daily partial water changes with the addition of prime until the tank cycles. With just one fish in there, I doubt you'd need to do the full 50% water changes. It's probably the easiest way. As much as Im love TSS, I think this is one time I'd recommend the water changes with Prime way. (you know, so you won't have to move to Florida to get the TSS - lol, Jackie)