Ammonia Issues

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey guys ammonia in my 2.5g tank is at 0.50... it’s been like that for the last few days! I am trying to get it to lower but it just won’t... I’ve been adding prime and stability... is it still dangerous now that I added prime while I want the bacteria to build and get the ammonia out?

Thanks for any help in advance

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is this a tank you're trying to cycle? Or is this an inhabited tank that has had a spike?

Can you provide some more details about what is going on?

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Every day several people start threads asking for help with cycling problems. The one common thread in all of them is using some kind of cycle booster, starter, additive, whatever.

I recommend letting nature take its course. I've cycled over 20 tanks with fish in, 25% water changes every other day, Prime for the replacement water, and the cycling worked like a charm every time. It's not instant, it'll will take a month or so.

I've seen people say they have had good luck with cycle starters, but I'm still not convinced, especially seeing the steady stream of people using it who are tearing their hair out.

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Reaction score
maggie thecat said:
Is this a tank you're trying to cycle? Or is this an inhabited tank that has had a spike?

Can you provide some more details about what is going on?
So I thought my tank was cycled as the readings a couple weeks ago showed 0 for ammonia and nitrites... but now all of a sudden it’s gine up again... I haven’t changed anything... I’ve been doing water changes every three to four days and now I’m gonna be doing it maybe every second day until the ammonia goes down.. I have one Betta in the tank and one moss ball also an Anubias... didn’t add any fertilizer for the plant... I’ve had this tank set up for 41 days now... parameters are:
Am:0.50
Ni:0
Na:5-10
Ph:7.4

Not sure if that was enough info... thanks for the help!

So
WhoKnows said:
Every day several people start threads asking for help with cycling problems. The one common thread in all of them is using some kind of cycle booster, starter, additive, whatever.

I recommend letting nature take its course. I've cycled over 20 tanks with fish in, 25% water changes every other day, Prime for the replacement water, and the cycling worked like a charm every time. It's not instant, it'll will take a month or so.

I've seen people say they have had good luck with cycle starters, but I'm still not convinced, especially seeing the steady stream of people using it who are tearing their hair out.
thanks for the help! So you suggest I leave out the stability?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What kind of a filter are you using?

Prime is fine. It neutralizes chlorines and chloramines that can be lethal to your fish.

What, if anything, is different? Are your plants thriving? Have you vacuumed the substrate during water changes? Are you feeding just enough that the food is eaten in less than 5 minutes?

I'm spitballing here. But something has disrupted your cycle.

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Reaction score
maggie thecat said:
What kind of a filter are you using?

Prime is fine. It neutralizes chlorines and chloramines that can be lethal to your fish.

What, if anything, is different? Are your plants thriving? Have you vacuumed the substrate during water changes? Are you feeding just enough that the food is eaten in less than 5 minutes?

I'm spitballing here. But something has disrupted your cycle.
It’s the quiet flow filter that I have... love it! Well the only thing I can think of that could be different t would be that I added the filter and plant in a little later than the decorations and gravel etc... but when that was added the levels for parameters went down after all the add ons... my Anubias has had two leaves die but I cleaned the plant off and took the dead leaves off... gravel cleaning yes but not with vacuum as the tank is soooo small for the huge vacuum... it’s also difficult to get around with the vucuum as the decorations get in the way! So I used a turkey basted to suck what I could have put yesterday! When I feed him I’ll give him his food and immediately take it out if he doesn’t want it, basically anything that isn’t eaten or visible waste is taken out as soon as I see it! Always looking around to take out whatever shouldnt be left in the tank!

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just wait, your ammonia level will go down. Have patience. If it doesn't go down, then it won't go down with fish-in cycling (plus you'll end up with dead fish).

BTW: Don't change the water or clean the gravel during fishless cycling.

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Reaction score
jack22 said:
Just wait, your ammonia level will go down. Have patience. If it doesn't go down, then it won't go down with fish-in cycling (plus you'll end up with dead fish).

Thanks but this is a fish in cycle tank!

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jack22 said:

Um, for one, it's not fishless cycling.

I've cycled over 20 tanks with fish in, and it never caused a fish illness, much less death. Ammonia will go down with fish-in cycling, I've done it many times.

Billy T

Valued Member
Reaction score
My experience which is not much, 1 tank I cycled never had nitrites. I did use prime and Stability as suggested for 7 days, the only time after was if I did a water change. But once I got the Nitrates just relied on prime to detoxify the Ammonia until the Nitrates took care of business. That was only a Betta in a 5gallon. In a 10 gallon same thing but for some reason I still relied5 on prime but did a lot more water changes I guess bc there’s more fish. Sucked the other day my ammonia tested at 1 so I just went ahead and started a 50% water change while waiting on nitrate test. By the time 5 minutes was up I had 5. 0 ppms of Nitrate, if I probably would’ve just used prime I might be cycled but I’m back to 0 Nitrates. Patience and observing my fish seem to be best for me(if I’m patient). But a seachem tech suggested as few water changes as possible with %25 being the max did I listen...not with the 2nd one but fish seem healthy so good luck

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ah, somehow I missed the fish-in cycling part.

@WhoKnows , why do a fish-in cycle when fishless cycle is so much better. Even if you never get fish deaths, why put them thru that extra stress?

As for OP, ammonia at .5ppm is considered very high.

Is it possible to put the fish with a friend or return it back tot he store until your tank cycles?

If not , then I'd suggest decreasing it by doing large volumes of water changes (the sudden change in water chemistry may be better than the high ammonia level// caught between a rock and a hard place as they say).

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jack22 said:
Ah, somehow I missed the fish-in cycling part.

@WhoKnows , why do a fish-in cycle when fishless cycle is so much better. Even if you never get fish deaths, why put them thru that extra stress?
I never had any trouble with the fish I used for cycling. They were goldfish. When I took them back to the fish store after I was done, they were amazed because the fish had doubled in size.

I'll admit I get a little tired of people who try to shame those who use fish-in cycling. Why do you yank your fish out of their native environment and doom them to a life in captivity in your small little enclosed space? Aren't you doing the exact same thing? Anyone who keeps fish in an aquarium could be shamed for making their fish suffer. Let's dial down the judgement just a bit, shall we?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Debate about fish in vs fish out cycling isn't really helping @Savwingrove 's situation.

I'm not sure why your cycle has hit a snag, but it has. Do 25% daily water changes using Prime until your ammonia issue dissapates.

It would be a good idea to check your water coming out of the tap. Every so often that is where the trouble starts. If that's an issue, you may want to investigate products like Ammolock or an alternate water source.

Keep us posted.

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Reaction score
maggie thecat said:
Debate about fish in vs fish out cycling isn't really helping @Savwingrove 's situation.

I'm not sure why your cycle has hit a snag, but it has. Do 25% daily water changes using Prime until your ammonia issue dissapates.

It would be a good idea to check your water coming out of the tap. Every so often that is where the trouble starts. If that's an issue, you may want to investigate products like Ammolock or an alternate water source.

Keep us posted.
Okay great thank you!! Doing a water change as I type! I have checked the water from the tap before but will double check in that!!! Thank
You all for your amazing help!!!

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Reaction score
Question to all! When I do a water change is it best to take out the water from the bottom or the top? Reason why I ask is because I do it with a turkey Bastet so I can take from the top or the bottom! Also should I be doing gravel vuccuming everyday or second day or when for vacuuming? Thanks guys!!!

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Always from the bottom. They make a vacuum for 10 gallon and smaller tanks. Having one would save you loads of time.

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have on
maggie thecat said:
Always from the bottom. They make a vacuum for 10 gallon and smaller tanks. Having one would save you loads of time.
I have one I just really can’t get it around as the tank is so small!! Also can’t get it to work correctly! I am moving my Betta into a 10g tank soon as the fishless cycle is complete in it! And I think I’ll get the hang of it much easier than this 2.5 g tank!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom