coolio3991

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Trip
Occupation
Gunsmith
Quarantine?
No I didnt but I watch them very closely and I make sure I pick the best healthiest ones at the stor
List any water conditioners and test kits used:
I use api master test kit. And I use ammo lock amd stress coat not at the same time lol
Experience
Just started
Do you know of and understand the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle?
No
Aquarium Size
A 20g long
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
My 20g has 2 1-2 in black molle, 4 ember tetras, 6 neon tetras, 5 zebra danios, and 7-10 shrimp 3 types
Aquarium Start Date
May 12 2021
Ammonia
20 varies some days it stays under 4 others it goes to 8ppm. Change water often
Nitrite
Nitrate
0 once in a while a .5 but very rare
Temperature
20g 77f
pH
About a 6.6 in 20g
Lighting
. In 20g I have aq color max n white light
Aquarium Filter Type
2 spong filters and a protein skimmer
Aquarium #2 Size
10g
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
1 double tail male betta and 3 Mexican dwarf crawfish
Tank #2 Start Date
May 12 2021
Tank #2 Ammonia
Always under 2ppm
Tank #2 Nitrite
Tank #2 Nitrate
Tank #2 Temperature
76f
Tank #2 pH
6.6ish
Tank #2 Lighting
Came with tank idr
Tank #2 Filter Type
Hob
Hello so I have had a 20 long for about 3-4 weeks. And without knowing i have to many fish and shrimp. I have 5 zebra danio, 6 neon tetras, 4 ember tetras, 2 1.5 inch black molle and about 10 shrimp. I have a ton of live plants which all are growing like crazy. I do 3-4 water changes a week and I have flushed the tank several times a week. I've never put the ammonia levels below .25ppm but every day the levels of ammonia rise. I did a big water change yesterday and today I tested and it wasat 8.0. So I did 2 10g water changes and ammonia is at4.0

Solution
I feed Bacter AE in my Hillstream Loach tank to help grow biofilm on the hardscape for the loaches. Sometimes the other fish pick at it before it sinks and disperses throughout the tank. I don't mix it with water. I just put a small amount (much less than recommended dose which is huge) on the water. It follows the current and eventually sinks.

awilkinson871

Well Known
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Angela
Yes
Aquarium Size
55 gallon
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Turquoise jewel cichlid, convict cichlids, electric blue jack dempsey, giant danios, albino rainbow shark, rubberlip pleco
Aquarium Start Date
March 2021
Aquarium #2 Size
37 gallon
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Harlequin rasboras, peppered corydoras, nerite snails, amano shrimp
Tank #2 Start Date
May 2021
You are basically doing a fish-in cycle. Have you tested your source water to see what the ammonia is? Ideally you want to keep your ammonia below .50 to keep your fish healthy. Once the nitrites start to rise you want to keep the combination of ammonia/nitrites below 1 at all times. Neons and shrimp generally do not do well in immature tanks and you will have better luck keeping them alive with lower ammonia. You should be changing 50% of the water during each water change and leaving all the substrate, decor, glass, and filters to grow beneficial bacteria.

OP
C

coolio3991

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Trip
Occupation
Gunsmith
Quarantine?
No I didnt but I watch them very closely and I make sure I pick the best healthiest ones at the stor
I use api master test kit. And I use ammo lock amd stress coat not at the same time lol
Experience
Just started
No
Aquarium Size
A 20g long
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
My 20g has 2 1-2 in black molle, 4 ember tetras, 6 neon tetras, 5 zebra danios, and 7-10 shrimp 3 types
Aquarium Start Date
May 12 2021
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Temperature
20g 77f
pH
About a 6.6 in 20g
Lighting
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
10g
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Start Date
May 12 2021
Tank #2 Ammonia
Always under 2ppm
Tank #2 Nitrite
Tank #2 Nitrate
Tank #2 Temperature
76f
Tank #2 pH
6.6ish
Tank #2 Lighting
Came with tank idr
Tank #2 Filter Type
Hob
Welcome to Fishlore! :)

How much water do you change and what do you mean by flush the tank? Are you adding anything like ammolock to the tank?
So I do a 10g water change then about 20 minutes ,some times right after it fills so I can get any debris out of the tank, later I do another 10g water change, if ammonia is still higher than I would like then I do a 3rd one of 10g , I use a python to do water changes, and I match the temp of water going in with what my tank is set to to avoid temperature shock. I use stress coat as my declorinator, and I add each time I add water so I drain 10g, and start filling it and I add 5ml stress coat before even a gallon of water goes in. Then when it's done filling i often start draining 10g again, then I add stress coat a d fill the tank. I let it sit for a few minutes then I do another water test if the ammonia levels are 1.0ppm or under I leave it be. I do water changes every Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday. By flush I mean I remove all the water within an hour or less. So in a 20 gallon tank you change 10-15g fill then 10-15g which even that wont remove all the ammonia in the water. The lowest I've gotten it was .25ppm and that was only after I flushed the tank 2 times in 1 day. I've been lucky my fish dont mind. Matter in fact they seam to like it.

awilkinson871

Well Known
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Angela
Yes
Aquarium Size
55 gallon
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Turquoise jewel cichlid, convict cichlids, electric blue jack dempsey, giant danios, albino rainbow shark, rubberlip pleco
Aquarium Start Date
March 2021
Aquarium #2 Size
37 gallon
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Tank #2 Start Date
May 2021
You need the new water to mix with the existing tank water for a few hours before retesting.

OP
C

coolio3991

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Trip
Occupation
Gunsmith
Quarantine?
Experience
Just started
No
Aquarium Size
A 20g long
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Aquarium Start Date
May 12 2021
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Temperature
20g 77f
pH
About a 6.6 in 20g
Lighting
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
10g
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Start Date
May 12 2021
Tank #2 Ammonia
Always under 2ppm
Tank #2 Nitrite
Tank #2 Nitrate
Tank #2 Temperature
76f
Tank #2 pH
6.6ish
Tank #2 Lighting
Came with tank idr
Tank #2 Filter Type
Hob
You are basically doing a fish-in cycle. Have you tested your source water to see what the ammonia is? Ideally you want to keep your ammonia below .50 to keep your fish healthy. Once the nitrites start to rise you want to keep the combination of ammonia/nitrites below 1 at all times. Neons and shrimp generally do not do well in immature tanks and you will have better luck keeping them alive with lower ammonia. You should be changing 50% of the water during each water change and leaving all the substrate, decor, glass, and filters to grow beneficial bacteria.
Thank you. And I have tested it and I did get a .25ppm ammonia but i should test it again. The sample could have been contaminated. and i change 10g add stress coat then change another 10g. For example i did a test yesterday i had an ammonia reading of 4ppm so I did 10g water changes tell I got it to .25. I did clean my sponges but in tank water and I didnt do a big clean. I did also clean a few spots on the glass so we could see better. Then today i checked it again 24 hours after the massive water change and i got an 8.0ppm reading which doesnt make sense. I get that kind of reading 2-3 days after changing the water. So i did another big water change today and got it down to 2ppm tomorrow I will be doing another test and changing the water again. As many times as I can and then doing another test. I'm leaving the substrate along and I'm leaving all decor alone. I do trim my cabomba once a week and replant it in the tank. But other thank that I remove any dead plant material. all my live plants seam to be doing good except for my red root floaters they are growing new leaves but they seam to loss the big leaves often. But only a few plants have actually lost all there leaves before growing new ones. I have yet to loss any fish to ammonia. And with my shrimp. I've lost several but they seemed to have trouble molting. I'm down to about 8-9 shrimp. They do have a ton of food and hiding spots. I do have green algae growing on my hard decor. and on the lid of my tank were the light is. I just dont know what's going on. I've gotten several nitrite spikes and I've even had nitrate how up. But it's very inconsistent I havnt had either in about a week or 2.
Is there ammonia in your tap water?
I did test it and there was a .25ppm ammonia but I think I will retest it. Should I get a gallon of fresh water add declorinator to it then test or just fill the tube and test as is. Does that make a difference
You need the new water to mix with the existing tank water for a few hours before retesting.
Okay cool thank you for letting me know.
And is this right. If I have 20 gallons of water it test at 8ppm ammonia I change 10g would that drop it in half, more or less. Because the way i change the water seams to drop it in half each time i change it, I use the python to do water changes. I make sure to leave the substrate alone. With the fish I have in the tank is it possible I have to many in there making it so it wont cycle properly. I go by 1 inch per gallon and 10 shrimp per gallon the biggest fish I have are my molle I have 2 but they are under 2 inches.

awilkinson871

Well Known
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Angela
Yes
Aquarium Size
55 gallon
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Aquarium Start Date
March 2021
Aquarium #2 Size
37 gallon
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Tank #2 Start Date
May 2021
1 inch per gallon is a myth. There are multiple variable depending on how large the fish is, how active, where the fish hang out, etc. You cant have too many fish to cycle but the more you have the longer it may take. The amount of BB that develop are enough to treat the amount of ammonia made. The shrimp may not make it. They are sensitive and really should be in a mature tank to ensure success. It is recommended to be cycled 1 month minimum with 3 months recommended. What are you using to test ammonia- strips or liquid? You may be able to add some tetra safe start to see if you can get the cycle a bump. I have never used it but others have had some success.

OP
C

coolio3991

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Trip
Occupation
Gunsmith
Quarantine?
Experience
Just started
No
Aquarium Size
A 20g long
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Aquarium Start Date
May 12 2021
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Temperature
20g 77f
pH
About a 6.6 in 20g
Lighting
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
10g
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Start Date
May 12 2021
Tank #2 Ammonia
Always under 2ppm
Tank #2 Nitrite
Tank #2 Nitrate
Tank #2 Temperature
76f
Tank #2 pH
6.6ish
Tank #2 Lighting
Came with tank idr
Tank #2 Filter Type
Hob
1 inch per gallon is a myth. There are multiple variable depending on how large the fish is, how active, where the fish hang out, etc. You cant have too many fish to cycle but the more you have the longer it may take. The amount of BB that develop are enough to treat the amount of ammonia made. The shrimp may not make it. They are sensitive and really should be in a mature tank to ensure success. It is recommended to be cycled 1 month minimum with 3 months recommended. What are you using to test ammonia- strips or liquid? You may be able to add some tetra safe start to see if you can get the cycle a bump. I have never used it but others have had some success.
Okay thank you my fish are all very active. I feed 2 times a day, and so far I have used fritzyme 7 bacteria, and api quick start. and I do believe it's been helping. I'm trying to find the best bottled bacteria but I far nothing truly is helping enough. I use liquid test kit from api. So far I haven't lost any shrimp to ammonia from what i can tell. I've been very lucky with that. And i do wish i new how sensitive shrimp were because i would have waited to get them. I've lost a lot of shrimp, i have purchased about 17 shrimp. I lost 2 shrimp the day i got them idk y but probably do to not adequately acclimating them, i did a drip acclimation and It took an hour. But there was almost zero original water left when i put them in, and I lost 2-3 to the dwarf crawfish which are now in my 10g tank, and we lost around 2-3 to my betta, which is also now in the 10g tank. Idk exactly how many shrimp i have left, but i think 7-8 of them. We have gotten them over a few months. We started out with 5 shrimp 1 blue shrimp 2 cherry shrimp and 2 chocolate shrimp, 3 ammano which we have 1 or 2 left from the first batch. we lost the blue one just the other day. It looked like it got stuck in its molt and then got eaten by shrimp. We have 1 cherry left and 1 chocolate shrimp left. From my original batch. I have lost all but 2-3 cherry which I've purchased a lot of. About 6 total most died to being eaten. 6 ammano shrimp which we have I believe 4 left. 4 orange which we have 2-3 left. They all seam healthy but they hide a lot. I think my zebra danios are picking on them when they swim in the open. I've seen them eating 1 I think it had died then they found it. It was very pink when I found them eating it. I dont want to loss all my shrimp, so if I see the danios or my ember tetras attacking them I will move 1 of those groups to the 10 g which can house more fish still.
So in my tank I have 2 black molles both about 2 inch or less. 5 zebra danios, 6 neon tetras 2 are very young and small we only have 2-3 that are fully grown, and 4 the petstore said ember tetras but they dont look quite like embers to me. There fins have white and black on them. They are a translucent silver and at just the right light and angle they look reddish. And then we have the shrimp less than 10 more than 7 lol do you think that's to many fish.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Occupation
retired
Quarantine?
5 gallon with sponge filter
prime for my water conditioner and the API Freshwater Master Test Kit for testing the health of my tank now have a gh/kh liquid test kit---
tank water tested 2/15/2016
gh-5 drops
kh-3 drops
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
55 gallon 48x12x21
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
5 Long Finned Black Skirt tetras
2 False Julii Corys
2 Albino Corys
3 bronze Corys to start with but now have more than I can count
10 Neon tetras
1 albino bristlenose pleco
8 Bloodfin tetras
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Mystery snail
Aquarium Start Date
December 14th, 2015
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
20/40
Temperature
pH
Lighting
led
Skimmer
No
Aquarium Filter Type
2 cascade 300 HOB's & 2 dual sponge sponge filters
Aquarium #2 Size
5.5 gallon hospital tank
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Aquarium #3 Size
12 gallon grow out tank
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #3 Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
super red pleco fry
Assassin snails
Your aquarium details tell us you have ammo-lock. Stop adding it and your cycle should move forward. Reporting the ammonia up to 8 even with all the water changes you have been doing was my first clue that ammo-lock has been added. The numbers weren't adding up until I saw that.

OP
C

coolio3991

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Trip
Occupation
Gunsmith
Quarantine?
Experience
Just started
No
Aquarium Size
A 20g long
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Aquarium Start Date
May 12 2021
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Temperature
20g 77f
pH
About a 6.6 in 20g
Lighting
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
10g
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Start Date
May 12 2021
Tank #2 Ammonia
Always under 2ppm
Tank #2 Nitrite
Tank #2 Nitrate
Tank #2 Temperature
76f
Tank #2 pH
6.6ish
Tank #2 Lighting
Came with tank idr
Tank #2 Filter Type
Hob
Your aquarium details tell us you have ammo-lock. Stop adding it and your cycle should move forward. Reporting the ammonia up to 8 even with all the water changes you have been doing was my first clue that ammo-lock has been added. The numbers weren't adding up until I saw that.
That explains it. I stopped using ammo lock for about 2 weeks, but when I did my water change friday morning I added it. I change my water every friday Saturday sunday and tuesday I use api stress coat normally. But last friday I tested my water with api master test kit and I got a 4ppm so I changed the water I got it down to .25ppm and my last water change i used ammo lock because i worried about my fish. Then Saturday morning I tested and it said 8ppm I got it down to 2-4ppm I'm going to test the water again today and see what i need to do. I'm also going to throw away the ammo lock so i don't keep using it.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Occupation
retired
Quarantine?
prime for my water conditioner and the API Freshwater Master Test Kit for testing the health of my tank now have a gh/kh liquid test kit---
gh-5 drops
kh-3 drops
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
55 gallon 48x12x21
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
2 False Julii Corys
2 Albino Corys
10 Neon tetras
8 Bloodfin tetras
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Mystery snail
Aquarium Start Date
December 14th, 2015
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
20/40
Temperature
pH
Lighting
led
Skimmer
No
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
5.5 gallon hospital tank
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Aquarium #3 Size
12 gallon grow out tank
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
super red pleco fry
Assassin snails
That explains it. I stopped using ammo lock for about 2 weeks, but when I did my water change friday morning I added it. I change my water every friday Saturday sunday and tuesday I use api stress coat normally. But last friday I tested my water with api master test kit and I got a 4ppm so I changed the water I got it down to .25ppm and my last water change i used ammo lock because i worried about my fish. Then Saturday morning I tested and it said 8ppm I got it down to 2-4ppm I'm going to test the water again today and see what i need to do. I'm also going to throw away the ammo lock so i don't keep using it.
I am happy you came to us with this issue. Now that you know why you were seeing these drastic numbers you should be able to finish up this cycle without having to do the flushes you've been doing. Once all the ammo-lock is out of there things should settle down and move forward. I wouldn't be overly concerned with a reading of .25. Should it go any higher than that get it back down with a 50% water change.

OP
C

coolio3991

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Trip
Occupation
Gunsmith
Quarantine?
Experience
Just started
No
Aquarium Size
A 20g long
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Aquarium Start Date
May 12 2021
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Temperature
20g 77f
pH
About a 6.6 in 20g
Lighting
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
10g
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Start Date
May 12 2021
Tank #2 Ammonia
Always under 2ppm
Tank #2 Nitrite
Tank #2 Nitrate
Tank #2 Temperature
76f
Tank #2 pH
6.6ish
Tank #2 Lighting
Came with tank idr
Tank #2 Filter Type
Hob
So I just got done testing my tap water both chlorinated and declorinator and got 0ppm on both. I think the ammo lock I used to use gave it a false positive. so I tested it with ammo lock and sure enough it read .25 ppm so I chucked it. I have begun doing a 50% water change every day now. And I will be working hard to keep ammonia under 1ppm. Thank you and everyone else for the help
So I just got done testing my tap water both chlorinated and declorinator and got 0ppm on both. I think the ammo lock I used to use gave it a false positive. so I tested it with ammo lock and sure enough it read .25 ppm so I chucked it. I have begun doing a 50% water change every day now. And I will be working hard to keep ammonia under 1ppm. Thank you and everyone else for the help

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Occupation
retired
Quarantine?
gh-5 drops
kh-3 drops
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
55 gallon 48x12x21
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
2 False Julii Corys
2 Albino Corys
10 Neon tetras
8 Bloodfin tetras
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Mystery snail
Aquarium Start Date
December 14th, 2015
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
20/40
Temperature
pH
Lighting
led
Skimmer
No
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
5.5 gallon hospital tank
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Aquarium #3 Size
12 gallon grow out tank
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
super red pleco fry
Assassin snails
Now that you have stopped using the ammo-lock let your test results determine when to do a water change. As long as the ammonia holds at .25 you can skip the water change that day. should it go up to .5 change out half the water to get it back down to .25

OP
C

coolio3991

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Trip
Occupation
Gunsmith
Quarantine?
Experience
Just started
No
Aquarium Size
A 20g long
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Aquarium Start Date
May 12 2021
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Temperature
20g 77f
pH
About a 6.6 in 20g
Lighting
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
10g
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Start Date
May 12 2021
Tank #2 Ammonia
Always under 2ppm
Tank #2 Nitrite
Tank #2 Nitrate
Tank #2 Temperature
76f
Tank #2 pH
6.6ish
Tank #2 Lighting
Came with tank idr
Tank #2 Filter Type
Hob
I am happy you came to us with this issue. Now that you know why you were seeing these drastic numbers you should be able to finish up this cycle without having to do the flushes you've been doing. Once all the ammo-lock is out of there things should settle down and move forward. I wouldn't be overly concerned with a reading of .25. Should it go any higher than that get it back down with a 50% water change.
Thank you. I'm really grateful for everyone help. I have thrown away the ammo lock which contaminated my tap water test a few months back I did a test with ammo lock and got a .25. Well today I tested my tap with and without declorinator I used stress coat, and in both tests I got a 0. And now that i know what's going on this will go much faster. Because i am going to buy fritzime 7 again which i know helps. I started using that every water change and could tell it helped. But i just ran out over the weekend. Yes it does raise ammonia but only for a little bit. It goes back down the same day I've noticed. Right now my ammonia is at 1ppm tomorrow i will be flushing my tank again to get rid of all ammonia in the tanks water then I will be able to do 1 10g water change a day till I no longer get ammonia readings. What do you think of things like the fritzyme 7 and quick start and the aqueon ball bacteria stuff do those really help. Or are they a waist of money.
Now that you have stopped using the ammo-lock let your test results determine when to do a water change. As long as the ammonia holds at .25 you can skip the water change that day. should it go up to .5 change out half the water to get it back down to .25
Thank you I will definitely keep it at or below .25ppm. Now that I think about it my 10g with the betta and 3 dwarf crawfish has done really well. It has never been over 2ppm. I havnt used ammo lock in that tank. It was started at the same time as my 20g but I have upgraded the hob on it recently. thank you all you have literally been a life saver.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Occupation
retired
Quarantine?
gh-5 drops
kh-3 drops
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
55 gallon 48x12x21
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
2 False Julii Corys
2 Albino Corys
10 Neon tetras
8 Bloodfin tetras
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Mystery snail
Aquarium Start Date
December 14th, 2015
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
20/40
Temperature
pH
Lighting
led
Skimmer
No
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
5.5 gallon hospital tank
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Aquarium #3 Size
12 gallon grow out tank
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
super red pleco fry
Assassin snails
To be perfectly honest. I have never used any of the bacteria in a bottle. Your tank will cycle without it. Now that you are no longer using the ammo-lock I think you are going to start seeing some forward progress whether you add extra bacteria or not. I will recommend you get and use Seachem Prime instead of anything else for your water conditioner.

OP
C

coolio3991

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Trip
Occupation
Gunsmith
Quarantine?
Experience
Just started
No
Aquarium Size
A 20g long
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Aquarium Start Date
May 12 2021
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Temperature
20g 77f
pH
About a 6.6 in 20g
Lighting
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
10g
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Start Date
May 12 2021
Tank #2 Ammonia
Always under 2ppm
Tank #2 Nitrite
Tank #2 Nitrate
Tank #2 Temperature
76f
Tank #2 pH
6.6ish
Tank #2 Lighting
Came with tank idr
Tank #2 Filter Type
Hob
To be perfectly honest. I have never used any of the bacteria in a bottle. Your tank will cycle without it. Now that you are no longer using the ammo-lock I think you are going to start seeing some forward progress whether you add extra bacteria or not. I will recommend you get and use Seachem Prime instead of anything else for your water conditioner.
Okay cool thank you I think I will get the seachem prime I've heard a lot of people rave about it. Also so my shrimp seam to need more nutrients they have a plethora of algea to eat and any food my fish dont eat which isnt much but. What's something I can give my shrimp that my fish wont try and eat. I do have crawfish/crab sinking pellets will that be okay to give them? I've been trying to find it out but I cant find anything on it.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Occupation
retired
Quarantine?
gh-5 drops
kh-3 drops
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
55 gallon 48x12x21
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
2 False Julii Corys
2 Albino Corys
10 Neon tetras
8 Bloodfin tetras
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Mystery snail
Aquarium Start Date
December 14th, 2015
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
20/40
Temperature
pH
Lighting
led
Skimmer
No
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
5.5 gallon hospital tank
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Aquarium #3 Size
12 gallon grow out tank
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
super red pleco fry
Assassin snails
One thing I feed mine that the fish won't think of as food is BacterAE. It is a powder mixed with water and poured in the tank. A tiny bit of it goes a long way. My shrimp also get hikari mini algae wafers, crab cuisine and shrimp pellets. Your fish may go after all of those though. I also give mine mulberry leaves and once a week a piece of blanched zucchini or broccoli.

OP
C

coolio3991

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Trip
Occupation
Gunsmith
Quarantine?
Experience
Just started
No
Aquarium Size
A 20g long
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Aquarium Start Date
May 12 2021
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Temperature
20g 77f
pH
About a 6.6 in 20g
Lighting
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
10g
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Start Date
May 12 2021
Tank #2 Ammonia
Always under 2ppm
Tank #2 Nitrite
Tank #2 Nitrate
Tank #2 Temperature
76f
Tank #2 pH
6.6ish
Tank #2 Lighting
Came with tank idr
Tank #2 Filter Type
Hob
One thing I feed mine that the fish won't think of as food is BacterAE. It is a powder mixed with water and poured in the tank. A tiny bit of it goes a long way. My shrimp also get hikari mini algae wafers, crab cuisine and shrimp pellets. Your fish may go after all of those though. I also give mine mulberry leaves and once a week a piece of blanched zucchini or broccoli.
Thank you I will look into it. What is the best bacteria ae I have cherry shrimp ammano, chocolate, orange shrimp I have lost several to problems when molting. Will mulberry leaves change the color of my water? If not i will be getting some. I do feed my fish algea wafers every other day, and I've seen the shrimp avoid them. They prefer the algea i allow to grow in my tank on a few decorations. i need to get some zucchini i bet that is cool to watch. Hope my fish leave them alone. My danios seam to pick on my shrimp some times. Which has stressed one of my shrimp to death. Once my tank is cycled or I dont feel like waiting any longer im getting a bunch of shrimp. I'm thinking I will get 10 in the next week or 2, then another 10 a week or 2 after that. I love shrimp and I want to be able to see them more often. I've learned many of there hiding spots there are a few I can see into but. I know were a few are at all times. I can always find 7 within a few minutes. but I really want to see a lot of them. And with the number of fish I have I think it should be okay to get a bunch of shrimp because they will always have food as long as I keep my shrimp pop to about 30 I dont think they will be able to breed successfully because the fish I have love eating small shrimp. But I will see how that goes.
Is the bacter ae and shrimpfit safe in a community tank? Because upon further research I really want to get them both for my shrimp. Who really dont care about pellet foods and fish foods. Plus my fish tend to eat the shrimp food before it hits the bottom lol.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Occupation
retired
Quarantine?
gh-5 drops
kh-3 drops
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
55 gallon 48x12x21
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
2 False Julii Corys
2 Albino Corys
10 Neon tetras
8 Bloodfin tetras
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Mystery snail
Aquarium Start Date
December 14th, 2015
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
20/40
Temperature
pH
Lighting
led
Skimmer
No
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
5.5 gallon hospital tank
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Aquarium #3 Size
12 gallon grow out tank
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
super red pleco fry
Assassin snails
Please don't get anymore shrimp until your tank is fully cycled and firmly established. BacterAE doesn't come in different flavors. I don't know about shrimpfit. I've never fed it to my shrimp. No, mulberry leaves won't tint your water.

OP
C

coolio3991

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Trip
Occupation
Gunsmith
Quarantine?
Experience
Just started
No
Aquarium Size
A 20g long
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Aquarium Start Date
May 12 2021
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Temperature
20g 77f
pH
About a 6.6 in 20g
Lighting
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
10g
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Start Date
May 12 2021
Tank #2 Ammonia
Always under 2ppm
Tank #2 Nitrite
Tank #2 Nitrate
Tank #2 Temperature
76f
Tank #2 pH
6.6ish
Tank #2 Lighting
Came with tank idr
Tank #2 Filter Type
Hob
Please don't get anymore shrimp until your tank is fully cycled and firmly established. BacterAE doesn't come in different flavors. I don't know about shrimpfit. I've never fed it to my shrimp. No, mulberry leaves won't tint your water.
Yeah I'm definitely waiting till my tank is cycled so far I've been lucky with it but I dont want to loss anymore shrimp. Even though I've not lost any to ammonia. And I know I'm just asking about the company's other product like bacter ae. Do you know if these products are safe for the fish in my tank. And okay thank you.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Occupation
retired
Quarantine?
gh-5 drops
kh-3 drops
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
55 gallon 48x12x21
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
2 False Julii Corys
2 Albino Corys
10 Neon tetras
8 Bloodfin tetras
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Mystery snail
Aquarium Start Date
December 14th, 2015
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
20/40
Temperature
pH
Lighting
led
Skimmer
No
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
5.5 gallon hospital tank
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Aquarium #3 Size
12 gallon grow out tank
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
super red pleco fry
Assassin snails
Yeah I'm definitely waiting till my tank is cycled so far I've been lucky with it but I dont want to loss anymore shrimp. Even though I've not lost any to ammonia. And I know I'm just asking about the company's other product like bacter ae. Do you know if these products are safe for the fish in my tank. And okay thank you.
I have to think it would be safe to feed in a community tank. This product is only fed weekly and in very small amounts. It basically produces a type of bio-film for the shrimp to eat.

Netti

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Jay
Quarantine?
No I haven't yet. I don't have the facilities to do so yet but am planning to do so in the future.
API amonia test kit, test strips, seachem dechlorinator.
Experience
Just started
Yes
Aquarium Size
57L, 40L, 20L
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Bettas, Neon Tetras, Ember Tetras, Nerite snail, Amano Shrimp
Aquarium Start Date
March 25, 2021
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
40 to 70
Temperature
pH
Lighting
DIY
Skimmer
No
Aquarium Filter Type
Seachem Matrix, Purigen, Ceramic Rings, Sponge
Aquarium #2 Size
20 Liters
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Chilli Rasboras, Red Cherry Shrimps, Amano Shrimps, horned Nertie Snail
Tank #2 Start Date
April 20, 2021
Tank #2 Ammonia
Tank #2 Nitrite
Tank #2 Nitrate
5 to 20
Tank #2 Temperature
Tank #2 pH
Tank #2 Lighting
DIY
Tank #2 Filter Type
Seachem Matrix, Seachem Purigen, Ceramic Rings, Sponge
Tank #2 Skimmer
No
Aquarium #3 Size
40L
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Betta, Albino Corydora, Endler Livebearers, assassin Snails
Tank #3 Start Date
May 30, 2021
Tank #3 Ammonia
Tank #3 Nitrite
Tank #3 Nitrate
20 -40
Tank #3 Temperature
25-26
Tank #3 pH
Tank #3 Lighting
DIY
Tank #3 Filter Type
2 Sponge filters
Tank #3 Skimmer
None
So you didn't say anything about root tabs or fert soil but you said that your plants are doing really well. I read somewhere that root tabs can leach amonia into the water column. Fert soil can do the same if you don't have a thick enough layer of substrate. Maybe something to consider if you used any of those.

OP
C

coolio3991

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Trip
Occupation
Gunsmith
Quarantine?
Experience
Just started
No
Aquarium Size
A 20g long
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Aquarium Start Date
May 12 2021
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Temperature
20g 77f
pH
About a 6.6 in 20g
Lighting
Aquarium Filter Type
Aquarium #2 Size
10g
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Start Date
May 12 2021
Tank #2 Ammonia
Always under 2ppm
Tank #2 Nitrite
Tank #2 Nitrate
Tank #2 Temperature
76f
Tank #2 pH
6.6ish
Tank #2 Lighting
Came with tank idr
Tank #2 Filter Type
Hob
I have to think it would be safe to feed in a community tank. This product is only fed weekly and in very small amounts. It basically produces a type of bio-film for the shrimp to eat.
Awesome thank you I will get them when I have the money. How ever I did just find 3 shrimp I thought were dead and eaten for several weeks now. and they look very healthy. the shrimp all started coming out more now that I've been doing daily water changes of 50% I am doing up to 2 water changes a day now several hours apart. I've managed to keep the ammonia levels around and under 1ppm. It rises to 1ppm in 20- 24 hours.

FishDin

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Quarantine?
No
API Master test kit, API KH & GH, Prime
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
50 US gal
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tanganykan cichlids, Nerite snails
Aquarium Start Date
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
10-20
Temperature
77 F
pH
Lighting
Led & flourescent
Aquarium Filter Type
Canister
Aquarium #2 Size
29 US gal
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Glowlight Danios, Golden Dwarf Barbs, Beckford's Pencilfish, BN Plecos, pond snails, easy plants
Tank #2 Start Date
4/2020
Tank #2 Ammonia
Tank #2 Nitrite
Tank #2 Nitrate
Tank #2 Temperature
Tank #2 pH
Tank #2 Lighting
Led
Tank #2 Filter Type
Canister
Aquarium #3 Size
10 gal (24 x 18 footprint)
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Hillstream loaches, White Mountain minnows, Ramshorn snails, easy plants
Tank #3 Start Date
9/2019
Tank #3 Ammonia
Tank #3 Nitrite
Tank #3 Nitrate
Tank #3 Temperature
unheated: 66-74
Tank #3 pH
Tank #3 Lighting
Led
Tank #3 Filter Type
Prefilter as well as dripwall
I feed Bacter AE in my Hillstream Loach tank to help grow biofilm on the hardscape for the loaches. Sometimes the other fish pick at it before it sinks and disperses throughout the tank. I don't mix it with water. I just put a small amount (much less than recommended dose which is huge) on the water. It follows the current and eventually sinks.

Solution

Latest threads

Top Bottom