Ammonia Is Constant 10 Gallon Tank

1. B

BeginnerFishKeeper97 New Member Member

Hello!

I have 6 female guppies in my 10 gallon tank and an API master test kit. I set up this tank about a month ago with some java fern, corkscrew val, frogbit and java moss. I put in some fluval bacteria and it seems to have been completely useless. I have done a couple of water changes but in the past two weeks I haven't done any and my test kit keeps reading 0.25 ammonia + 0 nitrite/nitrate + pH 7.5. I'm kinda getting frustrated with not seeing any nitrite or nitrate. I was just wondering if the plants are sucking it up too quickly for it to get registered or the cycle hasn't started yet? Am I getting a false reading?

I would really like to start a colony of cherry shrimp but I'm worried the current level of ammonia would kill them. So any help in my situation would be greatly appreciated because currently I'm thinking there is nothing to do but wait!

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

What kind of filter? Have you rinsed your filter in tap water and or replaced it? Do you use water conditioner whenever you do water changes, or simply adding water lost from evaporation?

3. OP
    OP
    B

4. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

0.25 ammo is really negligible. I wouldn’t hesitate to add shrimp.

Waste breaking down obviously creates ammonia. BB doesn’t consume it immediately, it’s a process.

5. OP
    OP
    B

Actually my bad! I just shook all the bottles and redid the tests and now I'm getting 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10-20 nitrate. I also neglected to mention I added in flourish root tabs about a week ago. Would this still be uncycled because of the 0 nitrite (i'm thinking the fertilizer tablets are adding the nitrates)?

6. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

The tank is cycled.

7. OP
    OP
    B

Great thanks!

8. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Also, depending on the lighting and angle you look at the test tube, it can sometimes look like its .25 when it’s actually zero.