Ammonia In Tap Water

1. Cody91

Cody91 New Member Member

What do you do when you get to this point. 0ppm for all but nitrate...and you want to do a water change to get rid of ge nitrate BUT your tap water has 1-2ppm ammonia in it..HELP

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

You just do a water change to lower the nitrates. And since your tank is cycled that ammonia in your tap will get processed into nitrates. Of course it will raise your nitrate level some, but it hopefully will not be raised by the same amount you removed with the water change.

3. ystrout

ystrout Valued Member Member

I have that same problem.

My ammonia was about 1 ppm out of the tap. That wasn't really the problem though. My water was super hard so I started using 75% RO water and 25% tap water (to add the minerals back). It brings my GH and KH to about 5-8.

But if the hardness levels are okay for you, 1 ppm of ammonia for a partial water change is nothing. Check out this math.

25% water change of 1.5 ppm ammonia to a cycled tank. .25*1.5= .375 ppm of ammonia in the tank after the partial water change. Dose that with Prime to temporarily detofixy the ammonia and your bacteria will clean that up within a couple hours. I've also read that 1 ppm ammonia translates to 3.6 nitrate. So the water change is essentially adding 1.35 PPM of nitrate into your tank.

You could use mineral treated RO water but if the ammonia is the only issue, I wouldn't worry about it. With live plants and most freshwater fish who can handle nitrate well over 50 ppm (although not ideal), you're fine.