Ammonia In Tap Water

Atreyu

New Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
4
Points
3
There is conflicting advice all over the internet and so I joined the forum and figure, why not get some more of that in my brain! Lol.

I tested my tap water using an API kit and I ended up with a reading of:
Ammonia 1 ppm
Ph 7.7

Can someone tell me if I am understanding an issue correctly keeping in mind I have tap water with chloramine and high ammonia readings?
If a tank is cycled, you can do 25 percent water changes, add Prime and it will address the ammonia situation for 24 hours. That 24 hours you will still get a reading of 1 ppm ammonia, but it won't be dangerous for the fish as Prime will be protecting them. After 24 hours the Nitrates will have taken care of the ammonia added in the change and you should be getting readings of 0ppm for ammonia at that point. Yes?

Also, I am seeing things saying that because of the higher ammonia tank water I need to do more than one water change a week, possibly doing say 10 percent every other day.

Furthermore, is that high tap water reading going to interfere with anything when I am cycling the tank?

Um, okay, yup, that's it right this second. *takes my brain off the hamster wheel for a minute*
Thanks in advance.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,290
Reaction score
8,071
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Your mind can stop spinning because you have it exactly right. A cycled tank should convert that amount of ammonia within 24 hours but probably even sooner and the prime will render it harmless to the fish until it does.

If you are doing a 25% water change the ammonia will no longer be 1 though because the other 75% of the water will dilute it down to negligible amounts.

The ammonia in the tap water may have to be taken into account when adding ammonia if you are doing a fishless cycle but it won't hurt the cycle, it will actually help.

Also, I am seeing things saying that because of the higher ammonia tank water I need to do more than one water change a week, possibly doing say 10 percent every other day.
Once cycled you won't have to do anything other than add prime because of the ammonia in your tap water when doing your weekly water changes.
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Messages
13,528
Reaction score
9,826
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually its best practice to do half water changes (10%) twice a week. Thats best best fish keeping advice. But in reality yes standard 25% weekly with prime seems to work.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Atreyu

New Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
4
Points
3
Thank you both!

I'm more than happy to do two 10% changes. I imagine this is a little strange but I actually like doing the water changes. Well, assuming my siphon never breaks. Lol.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,290
Reaction score
8,071
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Atreyu said:
Thank you both!

I'm more than happy to do two 10% changes. I imagine this is a little strange but I actually like doing the water changes. Well, assuming my siphon never breaks. Lol.
Not strange at all. But then maybe I am strange too because I enjoy doing it and I do it with buckets It just makes me feel good knowing I am doing something good for my water pets since they give me such joy.

I've always thought bigger water changes are better than several smaller ones unless there is a specific reason for not doing big ones. PH differences between tank and source water would be one reason to do smaller changes but I am sure there are others.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom