Ammonia In New Cycle

John Lowther

Reaction score
Reading posts on ammonia cycle for new tank is confusing, i want to keep discus and trying to get an answer to this seems difficult.
A 30 Gallon tank, how much daily ammonia do i add, at the moment i am adding 1 teaspoon daily some reading say this is too much others say not enough. So question, how much ammonia do i add to 30 gallon tank in layman's terms please?

Regards John

RonJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
John Lowther said:
Reading posts on ammonia cycle for new tank is confusing, i want to keep discus and trying to get an answer to this seems difficult.
A 30 Gallon tank, how much daily ammonia do i add, at the moment i am adding 1 teaspoon daily some reading say this is too much others say not enough. So question, how much ammonia do i add to 30 gallon tank in layman's terms please?

Regards John
There are many parameters you need to consider. Like any ammonia already in tap water etc.

Get yourself a API master test kit. Add whatever you are adding now.

Then test the water . If the ammonia levels read between 1-2ppm, you are good. Try to maintain that level every day. When your tank can process at least 1ppm ammonia in 24hours you are already close to finish Cycling. You can also test the presence of Nitrate and the rise and fall of Nitrite to confirm the cycle completion.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There is a formula somewhere on the forum that tells you how much ammonia to get 2.0ppm ammonia per volume of water. Sorry that I have no idea where - maybe google it? What is your ammonia level now, do you know? Some people say higher than 4.0 ammonia will stall your cycle.
Separate question: is 30 gal big enough for discus?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom