Ammonia in fry tank!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by critter_fritter79, Mar 20, 2010.

1. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Once again, disaster has struck! I had to go o see the neurologist in St. Louis and was gone all day...since the wee hours of the morning today.. I fed the fry in the 10 gallon their morning vinegar eels and went on my way.

Got home just a little while ago and saw that the tank that had been FULL of fry this morning...more than 300+, was almost empty looking.

I immediately started a water change and ran the water with the API. No nitrites, no nitrates, but the ammonia was 1.0!! After a few minutes of looking, I found the problem...my snail had died and I hadn't noticed it! I am such a dumbo sometimes!

I changed as much of the water as I dared, and did notice a few more fry coming out of hiding...any other suggestions? Can I use prime in a fry tank?

2. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh no Critter!
    I hope you can get things back to normal :(
    I wish I had more advice :(

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Treat that tank with prime is all I know....I wish you the best though.

4. b

broncosno1 New Member Member

omg......i am soooooooooooooo freaking sorry to hear the bad news. i hope you can complete damage control and rescue the remaining fry. i was getting rdy to get a snail or at least ask you all about getting one as a helper. is this a common occurance? again....really sorry for your losses id be devastated for sure

5. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I have ben told the small chinese algea eaters work great for cleaning the sides and that albino cories can be used to keep the fry off the bottom...The idea for the cories came from very respected breeder so I am definitely going to try that one out! I am sick of the snails honestly. I added prime and had yet a few more fry come out of hiding. Hopefully after the water parameters stabilize there won't have been too many die on me!

6. Red1313

<HUGS>
    I hadn't thought of cory's... would be something worth considering :) Thanks for the tip :p

7. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

HERE is where this post goes!!! I have never used the chinese algea eaters but I do have an albino bristlenose in the tank with my 6 week old multi fry that has been with them since they were free swimming, and he has worked out great!

8. Red1313

Hmmm definitely something to think about :p

9. b

broncosno1 New Member Member

i tried a small green cory 4 years ago he ate about 100 fry in one night. that wasnt a good morning. :-( i dont know what the disposition difference if any or dietary preferance is from a green to an albino. i took advice from a supposed breeder too. i never went back to a website. i did a hindsight research and me as a fisherman should have known corys are a catfish which scavenges for food but they will eat live bait as well. unfortunately my fry were the live bait. ill never do that again. EVER

10. Red1313

I think it depends on the age of the fry. I think they spend alot of time near the bottom before the 2 week mark (I might be wrong about that though) as they get a bit older they wouldn't be quite so vulnerable.

11. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I just got the email suggesting he cories today and havent tried them either...maybe I will wait until the fry are alittle older to try that!

12. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

Well I went ahead and added 2 very small albino cories last night to clean up any extra food that might be on the bottom. I don't know if they were a factor or not but this monring I am only able to find about 5 fry....in a tank that had 300+... I am just sick! This will be the last time I add a snail, thats for sure! This is the 3rd time I have had a snail die in the fry tank like this and have no idea why. Guess I will just have to try these spawns again in a few weeks...

13. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

I use prime in my spawn tanks and also use it in my grow out tanks....I use 4 drops per gallon....Overfeeding is the #1 killer of young fry.....They are better off with less food.....Also, use a turkey baster to get the food out.....I don't use snails anymore ......They make a bigger mess in my opinion and if they die you get amonia spkies just as you are describing....Try doing a 50% water change daily until things get back to normal....

14. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

hmmmm...maybe i didnt add enough of the prime..I added the amount on the bottle, 2 drops per gallon...should i increase the dose?? Do you think the cories were snacking on the live fry?

15. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

I use 4 drops and that works for me....Yes, the cories could be eating your fry......

16. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

greeeeeaaaaaat...that figures! I will add some more prime and remove the cories..hopefully that will save the 5-6 fry that are left!

17. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im also sorry for your losses :(
    i raise abn fry with my betta babies but thats because they are the same size....and my betta baby tank is near a window...so it benefits both fish....but you really dont need anything to clean up the bottom for feeders as the turkey baster will do that....goodluck with things!

18. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Critter-I'm so sorry you're having these problems. I hope everything gets better soon!

19. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry to hear that!!

20. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Aw I'm sorry critter, just when it was looking up. You'll get this fixed in no time and be straight back on track. I know it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice