Ammonia In Fresh Planted Tank?

abuch91

Reaction score
Hey there,

I finally got my tank setup and planted for now. It's been running for a couple days so far, and I took some water readings tonight and was kind of surprised to see an ammonia reading of 2ppm in my tests. Nitrates and Nitrites are reading 0. I haven't added anything to start a cycle.

Do you know where this ammonia might have come from? I assume this will be good enough to kick start my cycle?

Thanks!

Bonus pic of my setup:
9oiYPNh.jpg

Mtp81

Reaction score
I'm just starting myself... so bear with me if I sound ignorant... have you added fish food? Or maybe put in a piece of filter, gravel or something else from an already established tank?

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd recommend testing your tap water, at least to eliminate that as a possibility.

abuch91

Reaction score
Mtp81 said:
I'm just starting myself... so bear with me if I sound ignorant... have you added fish food? Or maybe put in a piece of filter, gravel or something else from an already established tank?
Nope, all of my equipment is brand new. I'm using BDBS as the sole substrate. I don't even own fish food yet as I wasn't on planning on adding any for at least another month. I bought the Malaysian driftwood dry from a LFS and ordered my plants from Aquarium Co-op. Only thing I've added is some root tabs and some ferts.

GuppyDazzle said:
I'd recommend testing your tap water, at least to eliminate that as a possibility.
Good idea, I haven't tested it straight from the source yet.

Mtp81

Reaction score
Interesting.... I wish you luck in figuring it out! Sorry I couldn't help. I'll check back on this thread.

Joshuaharestad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
abuch91 said:
Hey there,

I finally got my tank setup and planted for now. It's been running for a couple days so far, and I took some water readings tonight and was kind of surprised to see an ammonia reading of 2ppm in my tests. Nitrates and Nitrites are reading 0. I haven't added anything to start a cycle.

Do you know where this ammonia might have come from? I assume this will be good enough to kick start my cycle?

Thanks!

Bonus pic of my setup:
9oiYPNh.jpg
Just my theory, but maybe it's coming from dying plant material. Your plants look healthy but they are still going to release some detritus in to the tank. With a low ammonia reading I wouldn't be surprised if that was the culprit. But I'd also do things other people suggested like testing the tap water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom