Ammonia In A Cycled Tank!

LT Connell

Reaction score
Good evening, fellow fish keepers. I'm stumped, so thought I'd ask what everybody thinks.

We have a cycled 75g. For weeks, the only readings I've had is Nitrates, which we keep in check by vacuuming/water changes every Thursday.

Last week we noticed that 2 of our fish were "missing", but as yet we have been unable to find their bodies. On Monday, both of our snails were floating, which I understand is a signal that all is not right with the water, so I tested and found Ammonia. Did about a 25% water change, moved everything and vacuumed beneath but still didn't find the 2 missing fish. Fast forward to today - snails floating again and Ammonia has risen back up to 0.50. We did another vacuum and water change, but still can't find the source of the ammonia.

I'm assuming it's the decomposition of the 2 missing fish causing the problem, so my question is: eventually will they finish decomposing and my ammonia readings return to zero? I don't know what else to do at this point.

LT Connell

Reaction score
Floundering_Around said:
You might have altered the beneficial bacteria somehow. Are you using a HOB filter with replaceable cartridges? Did you accidentally rinse your filter media in chlorinated water? Even if the fish bodies were producing ammonia, your beneficial bacteria (BB) should have been able to convert it all to nitrites and nitrates
Not that we are aware of. We have well water, but use prime during water changes anyway. Hob filter, not rinsed in anything but tap water from our well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom