Ammonia High With Prime, Help Please

Danio
TEST STRIPS: according to my strips, last night I had a reading of "safe" but obviously need an "ideal" reading.

So I did a 20% water change today, dosed the tap water with Prime. Added Wisteria plants. Took an ammonia test and the color brightened into the "stress" zone. Huh?

So I went ahead and tested for nitrites, nitrates etc. The strips turned colors that aren't even provided for reference! (Pictures attached)

I'm very worried. I have babies in my 20 gallon.

Used TSS in the beginning of my cycle, two days ago and will again 24 hours after I used the PRIME.

17939fb9a11ad98e022232fc71bcebd4.jpg

389f9eed9a92ba46cf455a52703fa908.jpg

Advertisement
Fearyn
Tests strips are very notorious for being unreliable. I would get a liquid test kit so you know more accurate readings.

Danio
Tests strips are very notorious for being unreliable. I would get a liquid test kit so you know more accurate readings.
Definitely. I'm fed up. They deff threw me off whack this time. They have good deals on Amazon for the liquid test kit.

Advertisement
aquatickeeper
I agree. Test strips are unreliable because they can get affected by the moisture or contaminants in the air. I would use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

It is also not recommend to dose Prime while cycling with TSS (would find the link if you want it).

Danio
I agree. Test strips are unreliable because they can get affected by the moisture or contaminants in the air. I would use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

It is also not recommend to dose Prime while cycling with TSS (would find the link if you want it).
Yes, I was confused about that. This is my first time using Prime, I usually use Tetras declorinator. that's why I thought I would add more TSS in 24 hours because detoxifying the ammonia may harm the BB OR something to that affect? Yikes

pentewiz
I go to my fish supplier to test my water and they do it for free. Try that!

Danio
I go to my fish supplier to test my water and they do it for free. Try that!
Ok. For the time being until my liquid tests arrives.

Did I mess up by doing the water change? Jeez I thought that's what you do if you see Ammonia levels aren't safe. Made it worse apparently.

pentewiz
Ok. For the time being until my liquid tests arrives.

Did I mess up by doing the water change? Jeez I thought that's what you do if you see Ammonia levels aren't safe. Made it worse apparently.
Hey, that's what I would have done. My ammonia is always high... LOL! I just do weekly water changes in my fish are fine

Danio
Hey, that's what I would have done. My mind is always high... LOL! I just do weekly water changes in my fish are fine
Bahahaha. Yeah this fish-keeping experience is something else. I get anxiety constantly trying to figure out if I'm doing it right. Then I start feeling like a fish.. wait, what? I forgot what I was doing

Cljensen
How long after adding the prime did you test? Prime is known to obscure ammonia test readings if tested with 24 hours of use.
I know a lot of people say test strips are unreliable but I have used both the test and the apI master and get similar results every time. I know keep both on hand at all times. I do use the apI master test kit most of the time but if I'm pressed for time I use test strips.

Danio
How long after adding the prime did you test? Prime is known to obscure ammonia test readings if tested with 24 hours of use.
I know a lot of people say test strips are unreliable but I have used both the test and the apI master and get similar results every time. I know keep both on hand at all times. I do use the apI master test kit most of the time but if I'm pressed for time I use test strips.

You're right!!

I did an experiment. So my results 5 in 1 test strips went bonkers (showing colors not even available for reference) because I tested under 24 hours after using Prime.
I tested my Betta tank under 24 hours after using a declorinator (Tetra brand Bettasafe) and colors went bonkers!

24 hours pass I'm getting normal color readings in both tanks

Now for the ammonia tests, I experimented too but the readings are constant. LIGHT GREEN stress zone.

You're right!!

I did an experiment. So my results 5 in 1 test strips went bonkers (showing colors not even available for reference) because I tested under 24 hours after using Prime.
I tested my Betta tank under 24 hours after using a declorinator (Tetra brand Bettasafe) and colors went bonkers!

24 hours pass I'm getting normal color readings in both tanks

Now for the ammonia tests, I experimented too but the readings are constant. LIGHT GREEN stress zone.
So I'm still getting high ammonia readings now that's it's been 24 hours though.

Cljensen
Test your tap water and see what the ammonia level is in it.

Mine can get as high as 6 ppm in rainy periods due to the chloramine added by the city. I found that I had to filter 2/3's of my water through a Brita filter before adding it to the tank.

Danio
Test your tap water and see what the ammonia level is in it.

Mine can get as high as 6 ppm in rainy periods due to the chloramine added by the city. I found that I had to filter 2/3's of my water through a Brita filter before adding it to the tank.
That's a good idea. Thanks much!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Frank the Fish guy
Replies
Views
Swatson
Replies
Views
KaitKat
Replies