Ammonia from plants?

UnknownUser

So I set up a plant-only bucket for some extra plants I have. I thought they might need some water movement, so I added my airstone. The airstone is attached to my sponge filter. So I thought, will live plants sustain a cycle? I have like 3 MTS in the sand with them that I'm sure will eventually reproduce, but I can't imagine they create much ammonia and I know the plants will also absorb any ammonia they create. Just wondering if the sponge will be cycled in a tank with only plants and a few snails, or if no bacteria will grow on it.

Darthmoli

Will live plants sustain a cycle? - Absolutely
3 MTS aren't gonna really be enough to start a cycle though. There probably wont be enough ammonia created to start the process. You could just put fish flakes or maybe some wafers or pellets and act like you were feeding a small amount of fish which will release ammonia and phosphates which will help your plants actually grow and start your cycle. Your plants wont use up all the nutrients which will allow bacteria to form. It will also help your MTS reproduce quicker which will add more load which means more bacteria.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MasterPython
  • Question
Replies
Views
Teahaus
Replies
Views