Ammonia Continues!!! Help

1. LT Connell

LT Connell New Member Member

A little over a week ago we found Ammonia in our 75g cycled tank. The only new additions in the last month were 1 Bristlenose and 2 Mystery Snails (both of which have died).

The tank was started in February and we slowly added fish and began to see 0 ammonia/nitrites and a health amount of nitrates! We've vacuumed, moved everything, did tons of water changes, ADDED a Fluval 406 for additional filtration and we still have Ammonia! GRRR!

I am completely at a loss of what is causing this problem. How do we get rid of this ammonia? BTW, our nitrates are currently fairly low, most likely due to all the water changes.

2. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

what is the ph in your tank?

3. OP
    OP
    LT Connell

About 7.6ish. Actually since I posted this question, I've been doing research - can using Prime give a False Positive reading on the API test kit?

4. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

You PH looks to be fine.

As far as I know Prime doesn't cause false readings. I use it and have never had ammonia show up in a fully cycled and established tank.

Is it anyway possible that some untreated water was put in this tank or did you rinse your filter media in untreated water? As you already know there should be no ammonia in a fully cycled tank.

5. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I'm curious to know about the "tons of water changes" did you already have fish in there?

What's the current stocking?

6. OP
    OP
    LT Connell

I use the term "tons" loosely. Maybe 5-6 partial WC's (25%) in the past week. We lost 2 fish a while back (never found their bodies), so a couple of the WC's were to move things around and vacuum beneath stuff in the tank. We also had 2 mystery snails die, so I'm sure they polluted the water somewhat.

Stocking: (already been told there are issues)
    3 Dwarf Blue Gourami
    4 Cherry Barb
    3 Rasbora Scissortail
    2 False Julii Cory - getting more after the loach is moved
    1 German Blue Ram
    5 Black Skirt Tetras
    3 Female Swordtails
    1 Bristlenose
    1 Clown Loach (he'll be moving to a larger tank very soon)

I feel like I'm forgetting somebody.....

7. OP
    OP
    LT Connell

I've heard if you dose to detoxify that it can cause false positives. LFS concurred. We always treat our water, even though we are on a well. Ammonia started before we bought the Fluval 406 and the media has been in the HOB since February when we set up the tank.