Ammonia conserns

Thomas0929

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok o have a 55 gallon tank with about 14 fish in it. The water is super cloudy and seemed to appear over night or was Cristal clear when I went to bed then bam. So I have need testing the water and all seemed fine for a 3 days with a little high ammonia 1 ppm. Bit tonight ( the day I have posted this) the ammonia color was a dark almost black green in less the a minute but after 5 minutes or was a dark teal color. I am Concerned what is going on. Should I change my chemicals. I have carbon in my filter and some live plants. I use streeszyme and sometimes stress coat. Is there a way to fix this quick. Pls help
Ok my water is 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 7 pH and 2 ppm ammonia still high most recent now 9 25 Pacif

Edit it is looking much better I will do uptayes on Wednesday after school so around 4 pm Pacific there are new pics

Edit. Looking way better still.high but it is going

Attachments

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, firstly, your ammonia is way off the charts. that's at least 8ppm? 1ppm is not 'little', it's already too high! ammonia should be 0! I have never encountered ammonia that high, and if no one corrects me i will ask you to do a 90% water change right now. I will ask about your cycling details later, but do your water change, asap!

Matthew7812

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey so, your water is cloudy from a bacteria bloom. You probably recently added a lot of fish, or quite possibly all 14? I would do a large water change, like 75%. Buy seachem prime, it is a water conditioner that will nuetralize 1ppm ammonia for 24 hours; use as directed.

Then continue doing 50% water changes until your beneficial bacteria can catch up to your tank; let's say for two weeks and then 25% for another week. Make sure your filter is more than just enough. On my 55 gallons I used two marineland 350's which turned my tank over about almost 13 times in an hour. Excessive, but the water was so clear it looked like my cichlids were floating in the air.

I see you have some marineland filter on your tank already. Make sure the cover is over the bio-wheel. Any ammonia in your tank is dangerous. With ammonia that high, expect fish to die very quickly unless you start a fish-in cycle immediately. fishless cycle is much easier, but it doesn't look like that is going to be an option for you.

A few other issues: I think you are also overfeeding your fish. Obviously your tank isn't cycled, do research into that and learn about the nitrate cycle. I don't want to lecture you on it when there are already great articles. Once those levels go down, add a benefiical bacteria stimulator like tetra safe start and buy seachem stability. This will help the bacteria grow and then thrive.

If you could provide us more information like: what fish? how long the tank has been running? Filter? and other details we could provide more specific information. Also from the picture, I see that your tank is overhanging the stand it is on. This is very dangerous and distributing the weight of such a heavy tank very poorly. Please consider getting a proper stand; your tank could shatter, leaving you with dead fish and a lot of water damage.

Thomas0929

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey so, your water is cloudy from a bacteria bloom. You probably recently added a lot of fish, or quite possibly all 14? I would do a large water change, like 75%. Buy seachem prime, it is a water conditioner that will nuetralize 1ppm ammonia for 24 hours; use as directed.

Then continue doing 50% water changes until your beneficial bacteria can catch up to your tank; let's say for two weeks and then 25% for another week. Make sure your filter is more than just enough. On my 55 gallons I used two marineland 350's which turned my tank over about almost 13 times in an hour. Excessive, but the water was so clear it looked like my cichlids were floating in the air.

I see you have some marineland filter on your tank already. Make sure the cover is over the bio-wheel. Any ammonia in your tank is dangerous. With ammonia that high, expect fish to die very quickly unless you start a fish-in cycle immediately. fishless cycle is much easier, but it doesn't look like that is going to be an option for you.

A few other issues: I think you are also overfeeding your fish. Obviously your tank isn't cycled, do research into that and learn about the nitrate cycle. I don't want to lecture you on it when there are already great articles. Once those levels go down, add a benefiical bacteria stimulator like tetra safe start and buy seachem stability. This will help the bacteria grow and then thrive.

If you could provide us more information like: what fish? how long the tank has been running? Filter? and other details we could provide more specific information. Also from the picture, I see that your tank is overhanging the stand it is on. This is very dangerous and distributing the weight of such a heavy tank very poorly. Please consider getting a proper stand; your tank could shatter, leaving you with dead fish and a lot of water damage.
No I have not added fish in 2 months

Also I have had this tank for a year and it has been just fine none of this started happening till o changed bacteria brands and I moved houses i am only 14 and dontalw Money of my own and can't drive so ya. And the only pets stors I have are pet co and smart I was using niteout is that still good

I have 4 gouramis 2 dwarf gouramis 4 guppies a afracan dwarf frog o think is the name and 2 of these i forgot the name

I have marineland filterent for a 60 gallon tank

Attachments

GumYu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
did you change out the filter cartridge recently? if not test your tap water. or it could be overfeeding. do a 50% or larger water change and use Seachem Prime to help detox the ammonia. if you don't have Prime, you'll probably need to do daily water changes. fast the fish for 2-3 days and see if that helps.

also, stresszyme and stresscoat are not necessary.

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
did you change out the filter cartridge recently? if not test your tap water. or it could be overfeeding. do a 50% or larger water change and use Seachem Prime to help detox the ammonia. if you don't have Prime, you'll probably need to do daily water changes. fast the fish for 2-3 days and see if that helps.

also, stresszyme and stresscoat are not necessary.
With 8ppm ammonia I'd suggest an immediate 90% change and increased aeration to flush the fish's gills of the stuff. not to mention nitrite!

Thomas0929

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
it's been almost a day since you posted, have you done the water change as i advised you to?
It was 10 30 when posted this o had to wait till morning I am only 14 o. Doing it now

With 8ppm ammonia I'd suggest an immediate 90% change and increased aeration to flush the fish's gills of the stuff. not to mention nitrite!
The nitrite and nitrate levels were both at 0

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It was 10 30 when posted this o had to wait till morning I am only 14 o. Doing it now

The nitrite and nitrate levels were both at 0
Okay, when you're done replacing water, put an air stone in the opposite end of the tank from the filter. You're treating your replacement water with anti-chlorine, right?

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes and I have a bubbler is a air stone different
No, bubbler and airstone is basically the same thing. if it has more than one outlet, put different bubblers in different areas of the tank. and put it at max setting. Do you have safestart? (forgot the brand, tetra i think?) Or dr. Tim's bottled bacteria? or whatever bottled bacteria brand? Also seachem prime?

Thomas0929

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, bubbler and airstone is basically the same thing. if it has more than one outlet, put different bubblers in different areas of the tank. and put it at max setting. Do you have safestart? (forgot the brand, tetra i think?) Or dr. Tim's bottled bacteria? or whatever bottled bacteria brand? Also seachem prime?
O got to go get some it was just finish off 2 days ago on my other tank I have to wait for my grandma to tank me to pet co so it will be a little bit

No I have streeszyme

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I seen a post like this over the summer. It ended up being the decorations. Is the pumpkin and gravestone new?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
O got to go get some it was just finish off 2 days ago on my other tank I have to wait for my grandma to tank me to pet co so it will be a little bit
So, to recap- when you go to the store, get
a bottle of Seachem Prime
a bottle of Tetra Safestart
The Prime will protect your fish from small amounts of ammonia PLUS it takes Chlorine out of the water.
The Safestart adds bacteria that will attach to your filter cartridge and will eventually start "eating" the ammonia so it is under control and won't even show up on your tests.
Read this: (yeah, it's HOMEWORK lol!)
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Thomas0929

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, to recap- when you go to the store, get
a bottle of Seachem Prime
a bottle of Tetra Safestart
The Prime will protect your fish from small amounts of ammonia PLUS it takes Chlorine out of the water.
The Safestart adds bacteria that will attach to your filter cartridge and will eventually start "eating" the ammonia so it is under control and won't even allow up on your tests.
Read this: (yeah, it's HOMEWORK lol!)
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
Thnx

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom