Ammonia Burns / Seachem Paraguard

Sarah3121

Reaction score
I had an ammonia spike in my established tank due to a contaminated water change. Ammonia was off the scale. The fish were in the ammonia tank for roughly an hour. My severums had no issues but my silver dollar fish had a white patch. I was able to move them to another tank to prevent further injury from the ammonia. Within a few hours the white patch seemed to disappear. 24 hrs later he started losing scales in the same area as the white patch. His eyes became cloudy and I became concerned about development of infection. After doing some research I decided to place him in quarantine and add seachem paraguard as infection can be a side effect of ammonia burn as well as ich. I am not sure if I did the right thing using paraguard as his condition seems worse and he has an additional white patch. He is acting normal but will not eat. Does anyone have any experience with this scenario? Could paraguard also burn him on top of the ammonia damage? Recommendations? Thank you!

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im sory I dont know what to tell you , but No the paragaurd is unlikely to have made anything worse.

OP
Sarah3121

Sarah3121

Reaction score
Noroomforshoe said:
Im sory I dont know what to tell you , but No the paragaurd is unlikely to have made anything worse.
Thank you for the reply. This morning he seems to be doing better. Hopeful he will continue to improve.

New Threads