Ammonia Burns / Cycling Question

KarlsJr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I inherited a betta fish about 6 weeks ago. I got it a 3.5 gallon tank with a heater and a filter. I've been changing 1 gallon of water each week with a siphon. I use API Stress Coat +, Stress Zyme, and Quick Start.

I'm having trouble getting my tank to cycle.

My readings (using API freshwater test kit) have been constant at:
ph- 8.0
Ammonia- 0.5 ppm
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 0

I think the betta is showing signs of ammonia burns, so I need advice on how to get the tank cycled and what to do about the ammonia in the meantime.

KarlsJr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do I use Prime instead of the Stress Coat, or in addition to it? And do I add enough for just new water being added, or enough for the whole tank?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The very best thing you can do for this little guy is keep his water fresh and clean. If you are using tap water be sure to treat it with a water conditioner (I see you use Prime). It will render the ammonia less harmful for at least 24 hours as long as it is less than 1.0ppm. If it is more than that change out enough water to get it back down below 1.

This tank will cycle in its own good time and it does need some ammonia to do it but while it is happening you need to keep it low with fresh water to protect your little guy. Changing out one gallon a week is not enough. If it were me I would be changing out half of the water at least twice a week.

The only thing you need to add is Prime since that is the water conditioner you have. You don't need to be adding API +, Stress Zyme, and .

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom