Ammonia At Any Level Is Toxic. I Get It.

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Orion1066, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Orion1066

Orion1066Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Sorry, Fish Lore friends. I have gone back to my tank details and updated my information. I had originally displayed my ammonia level in my Betta tank as "minimal." That was not accurate, and I am the first one to admit when I make a mistake. According to the Ammonia Test kit, by API, that costs $15, I can now admit that the accurate level is 1 ppm. (by what absolute metric?)

I know water quality is important, and I understand how toxic ammonia is to my Betta (or any fish) at any level. Having said that, that I would rather understand what is going on with my fish, than answer questions about the condition of my water, down to one chemical reading at one part per million.

I'm just sayin'

If I have violated any protocol by sharing feelings, not information, on this site, I apologize again.

2. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,137
    Experience:
    4 years
    You have not violated any rules or protocol. Everyone is entitled to their own personal opinions, everything is open to the community for discussion and debate.

The water quality is a key part to understanding what could be wrong with your fish. A lot of health issues are often caused by or linked to poor water conditions. That's why it's important to know the numbers to correct it or rule it out.

3. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +2,380
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hi Orion
    I'm not sure what prompted this thread but when something is wrong with one of our aquatic pets the first thing to rule out are water conditions.
    If it's off, that should be the first line of defense

Having a different opinion isn't against any rules as long as it is presented in a respectful manner.

4. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    No, ammonia is not always dangerous. It depends greatly on the pH of your water. At a pH of 7.0, practically none of the ammonia showing in a test reading is toxic, even up to readings of 4.0. At 7.2 up to 7ppm can be safe. At a pH of 8, virtually all of the ammonia showing up is of the toxic variety and even 0.25 can be dangerous.
    Your reading of 1ppm is okay if your pH is below 7.8. What you need to worry much more about is nitrites. They are much more toxic and even a trace can be harmful.
    Read this article. How Much Ammonia Is Toxic to Fish? (Ammonia Levels in Fish Tanks)

5. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +2,380
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Good point @Dch48. I thought it was a pH of 6, but I'm sure I could be wrong.

6. OP
    OP
    Orion1066

Orion1066Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    All points are well taken, and appreciatively noted.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2019
  7. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,514
    Experience:
    2 years

Become a Fishlore Member