Reaction score
Is ijt bad if my ammonia is at 0.25ppm?
I have my betta in and it seems to be happy

Cgtoxic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No if it is at .75 then i would be worried but you're good.

SeaMonkey06

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Betta1227 said:
I'd say it's not deadly or anything (keep an eye on your levels) but if you have any concerns a water change won't hurt. Is your tank cycled?

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Betta1227 said:
What is your pH?

Betta1227

Valued Member
Reaction score

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Betta1227 said:
pH of 6 is not an issue for ammonia at that level. High pH would be bad like 8. However, if you have a filter in the tank, your bacteria is not doing a thing, which may be causing the slight increase you are seeing. Best to get your pH to 7 to get your bacteria kick started. If you have a filter...

Betta1227

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cichlidude said:
pH of 6 is not an issue for ammonia at that level. High pH would be bad like 8. However, if you have a filter in the tank, your bacteria is not doing it thing, which may be causing the slight increase you are seeing. Best to get your pH to 7 to get your bacteria kick started. If you have a filter...
How do i get it to 7

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Betta1227 said:
How do i get it to 7
Do you have a filter? Lots of ways water change is the fastest and easiest. There are other ways too. How big a tank? What is the pH of your tap water?

Betta1227

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cichlidude said:
Do you have a filter? Lots of ways water change is the fastest and easiest. There are other ways too. How big a tank? What is the pH of your tap water?
Yes I have a filter for my 6.6 hallon tank, how do u check tap water on lol

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Betta1227 said:
The same way you checked the pH of the tank water. How did you check it to say it was 6.0?

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Betta1227 said:
Same as in the tank.

Betta1227

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cichlidude said:
The same way you checked the pH of the tank water. How did you check it to say it was 6.0?
Api test kit i think it would be the same ph in my tank right now

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You won't know until you test. So, test your pH of your tap water and test the pH of your tank. What are they?

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well there you have it. A series of water changes should bring it up to the 7.0 range where your tap water is. Something like 50% a day might work. Don't forget to add your de-chlorinator!

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually when your tank water is lower than your tap water, it indicates that you have water with a low KH (i.e. soft water). The KH helps keep the waters pH constant, and water with a low KH is likely to have the pH change pretty easily.

I have this problem myself, so I added some crushed coral to my filter, which releases calcium into the water which raises the KH level, therefore keeping my pH steady at the level it comes out of my tap.

But with a small tank, you can get away with just putting a cuttle bone (those things they sell in the bird department) and just put that in your tank. It too will raise the KH level keeping your pH level steady.

One word of caution, with a pH of 6.0, all the ammonia in your tank has converted to ammonium, which is far less toxic (some claim non-toxic) to fish. But also with so low a pH level your bacteria has gone dormant. Once your pH starts rising, that ammonium starts converting into ammonia. Depending on how long the ammonia converting bacteria was dormant, it may have all starved off. So keep an eye on your ammonia levels.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jdhef said:
Usually when your tank water is lower than your tap water, it indicates that you have water with a low KH (i.e. soft water). The KH helps keep the waters pH constant, and water with a low KH is likely to have the pH change pretty easily.

I have this problem myself, so I added some crushed coral to my filter, which releases calcium into the water which raises the KH level, therefore keeping my pH steady at the level it comes out of my tap.

But with a small tank, you can get away with just putting a cuttle bone (those things they sell in the bird department) and just put that in your tank. It too will raise the KH level keeping your pH level steady.

One word of caution, with a pH of 6.0, all the ammonia in your tank has converted to ammonium, which is far less toxic (some claim non-toxic) to fish. But also with so low a pH level your bacteria has gone dormant. Once your pH starts rising, that ammonium starts converting into ammonia. Depending on how long the ammonia converting bacteria was dormant, it may have all starved off. So keep an eye on your ammonia levels.
Great. Agree, now that we have the data.

Betta1227

Valued Member
Reaction score

CoryFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That is fine, I wouldn’t worry until it goes over .75 or 1 ppm.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom