Help Ammonia and pH

Stevens

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My ammonia was bouncing between .5 and 1 last week. I've been doing water changes daily and monitoring everything. Ammonia is now .25 to .5 daily. I'm waiting on live plants to arrive to help so between now and then I'm just continuing with the water changes.

However, over the last 3 days, my pH has dropped from 6.8/7 to 6.0. All fish are swimming happily, eating well and not showing any signs of distress. What could cause this??

Tank is freshwater 36g bow front set up for a month. Fish included are Platy, Molly, Gourami, Barbs, Pleco and Cory Cat.

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
It's normal to have the PH lower a bit, breakdown of organic compounds can lower it. Vac the gravel and doing a water change will raise it back up. A increase in C02 levels will also lower PH. If you have a buffering substrate in your tank it will continually keep your PH low.

First thing is I would check the KH of your water to see if it has at least some buffering capacity.

Dgonc86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Inner10 said:
It's normal to have the PH lower a bit, breakdown of organic compounds can lower it. Vac the gravel and doing a water change will raise it back up. A increase in C02 levels will also lower PH. If you have a buffering substrate in your tank it will continually keep your PH low.

First thing is I would check the KH of your water to see if it has at least some buffering capacity.
When did you add your fish? I’m just starting a 36 bowfront

New Threads