Ammonia and pH alert product: does it actually work??? Question 

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi guys!!

So have any of you ever used Seachems ammonia and pH detectors?? If so do they actually work? If they do I feel like it would be such a helpful product, but I don’t want to waste my money if it’s not accurate or doesn’t work. Thanks!!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Never used them so can't comment on them. I'de save the money and keep an API master kit to be able to do any testing when things seem "not right "

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
Never used them so can't comment on them. I'de save the money and keep an API master kit to be able to do any testing when things seem "not right "
I do have a test kit!! I had an issue with dropsy recently and the pH in that tank went up by a whole point in a month, which I only found out after testing when my fish got sick. If this product works it would be great to see a problem before it gets too bad again, as I can’t test everyday, ya know??

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
hannah662parker said:
I do have a test kit!! I had an issue with dropsy recently and the pH in that tank went up by a whole point in a month, which I only found out after testing when my fish got sick. If this product works it would be great to see a problem before it gets too bad again, as I can’t test everyday, ya know??
Then by all means it may be worth trying it out to see if it matches what your API test shows. Keep us updated cause it could be very useful to someone else that has experienced PH swings. Good luck!

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
Then by all means it may be worth trying it out to see if it matches what your API test shows. Keep us updated cause it could be very useful to someone else that has experienced PH swings. Good luck!
I’m thinking so too!

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ive been recommended by a friend to get one to just watch for issues in between changes and testing, even with the master kit.

Ive no personal experience with it though as its on my long to-do list

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hannah662parker said:
Hi guys!!

So have any of you ever used Seachems ammonia and pH detectors?? If so do they actually work? If they do I feel like it would be such a helpful product, but I don’t want to waste my money if it’s not accurate or doesn’t work. Thanks!!

View attachment 629878
I can just speak for the ammonia alert. Yes it works. It only detects the harmful ammonia (NH3) but does NOT detect the harmless ammonium (NH4). The API Master test kit ammonia test doesn't differentiate between the two, so if you have ammonium in your water at .25ppm or higher, the API test will test positive but the Seachem Alert won't detect it.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi :) I also do not actually have experience with the product but I do know of several who use and like the ammonia alert. These folks aren't you're average newish hobbyist but people who have invested years and LOTS of money in the hobby. I am also like you and detest wasting money.;) So, I feel I can recommend the ammonia alert with one caveat... any product can fail so the alert cannot replace regular testing.;)

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Momgoose56 said:
I can just speak for the ammonia alert. Yes it works. It only detects the harmful ammonia (NH3) but does NOT detect the harmless ammonium (NH4). The API Master test kit ammonia test doesn't differentiate between the two, so if you have ammonium in your water at .25ppm or higher, the API test will test positive but the Seachem Alert won't detect it.
Awesome, thank you!!

stella1979 said:
Hi :) I also do not actually have experience with the product but I do know of several who use and like the ammonia alert. These folks aren't you're average newish hobbyist but people who have invested years and LOTS of money in the hobby. I am also like you and detest wasting money.;) So, I feel I can recommend the ammonia alert with one caveat... any product can fail so the alert cannot replace regular testing.;)
That’s great, thank you!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom