Ammonia, And Nitrite

reptilepaul93

Valued Member
Reaction score
If the bacteria in my tank was nonexistent would the ammonia be reducing itself after I dose 3 ml into a 20 gallon long, and would there be a nitrate reading AT ALL?

I'm about 1 week into a fishless cycle. I keep dosing ammonia whenever I see it decline on my API test...but I dosed 3 ml over two days ago, and the reading hasn't gone down yet? Sort of wonder if I killed off the bacteria some how

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
reptilepaul93 said:
If the bacteria in my tank was nonexistent would the ammonia be reducing itself after I dose 3 ml into a 20 gallon long, and would there be a nitrate reading AT ALL?

I'm about 1 week into a fishless cycle. I keep dosing ammonia whenever I see it decline on my API test...but I dosed 3 ml over two days ago, and the reading hasn't gone down yet? Sort of wonder if I killed off the bacteria some how
Can you post your exact readings?

reptilepaul93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sure, So for my general P.H I couldn't quite tell th color it was inbetween 6.6-7.0(so it would seem..) I did a high range PH, the first test came back as 8.4 8.8.. I think solution from another test may have caused this, I did two more retests and the range came back yellow which to me would mean below 7.4 PH

My nitrite was 2.0 PPM

Ammonia is very green 1.0- 2.0

Nitrate is 5.0 PPM

CARBONATE HARDNESS: As the test fluid hit the water the solution turned yellow/orange, which would make me believe the water is 1 DKH

General hardness: as the solution hit the water it turned green on the first drop which would mean 1 degree of DGH?

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How long has the tank been cycling?

What steps have you taken? Beneficial bacteria in a bottle? Water changes?

Those levels shouldn’t stall your cycle but i’m Concerned about your water. I haven’t done the GH/KH test for awhile but I believe mine turned green on drips 10 and 4. Are you using R/O water?

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You'll need to get the Kh up (and Gh)... low Ph will prevent bacteria from growing... Is there a reason you used distilled? Unless your tap is really bad, most will just use tap water and treat with conditioner like Seachem Prime. Did you use any starter bacteria in a bottle or seeded filter media? I'm surprised at your nitrite/nitrate readings after just 1 week, especially since you used distilled water.

If you must used RO/DI or distilled water, you'll need to use something like SeaChem equalibrium to bring back in the require 'good' minerals.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe you got some bacteria imported from the plants. Plants will consume ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.. but that fact you have nitrites in the tank I think means you have some bacteria already.
I'd get some SeaChem equilibrium to balance up the minerals a bit, and SeaChem alkalinity buffer to add some Kh. You could also use crushed seashells or cuttlebone to do manage Kh slowly/more naturally.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly expect any yet this quickly. But again, you may have got some from transferred in with your plants. Also, SeaChem flourish should not normally affect the tests, but if you are dosing a lot or adding other ferts, it's possible you are picking those up.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also keep in mind that despite fluctuating water readings, bacteria can double in size one day, but it can also die just as much, and just as fast.

Johnwardframer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey I'm a new member of this site and I need some help. I got this tank from my brother. I got it from him a few months ago. I notice my fish started getting sick and dying. Hey did a ammonia test and it was really high so I got a better filter from my brother. Well I decided to get a master test kit around the same time I got the almost new filter. Tested the ph,ammonia,nitrite, and nitrates and all off them tested bad other than the ph level. So I tried 25percent water changes and quick start and it help but my ammonia was testing 4.0 and nitrates were between 40 and 80. My nitrite was good. It was between 0 and 0.25. Told my brother about it. He told me to do 50 percent water changes every day for three days because it did we'll for his tank. So I did and it worked great. My ammonia was 0. My nitrite was 0 my nitrates was between 5.0 and 10. I was so excited and figured my tank was established. That was about two weeks ago. I was testing the water every day for a week and it stayed great. Well a week ago from today I got home from work and I notice my water was foggy looking and my wife said it was looking like that when she woke up that morning. So I decided to test the water that night. I was very upset when I got the results. My ammonia level and nitrates level were good but nitrite climbed up between 2.0 and 5.0. So I started doing 25 percent water changes every other day . We got the water looking clear but the nitrite stayed about the same. Last night I decided to get aquarium bacteria marineland 4 fl ounces.. treats 118 gallons. It's supposed to remove ammonia and nitrite instantly. I decided to do one last water change before I poured the whole treatment in the tank. My tank is a 55 gallon with a 8 small goldfish fish and one koi about three or four inches. Now I'm playing the waiting game. My last testing last night.ammonia between 0 and 0.25, nitrite 2.0 and nitrates between 5.0 and 10. Can someone please help me and tell me what could of cause this and a way to treat and prevent this happening again. Thanks

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Your tank is cycling, the cloud is the bacterial bloom which is a good thing. However, you need to keep the ammonia and nitrites down with continued water changes since those are both toxic to fish. You need to make sure you are using conditioner when you do your water changes, but I'm assuming you are since you have nitrites and nitrates. I'd also be using Prime every day until your tank is fully cycled, ammonia=0 and nitrites=0.

Johnwardframer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright I will keep doing the water changes every day and start using prime. Thank you so much for the advice. The part I'm having a hard time under standing though is that I had them both reading 0 than from nowhere my nitrite climbs between 2.0 and 5.0 and my ammonia still 0 may be a trace more

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The bacteria to convert ammonia grows first and actually faster.. so your tank is now working on growing the next bacteria which converts the nitrites. It will take awhile.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom