Ammonia And Nitrite Spikes

Daxisapit

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello everyone, I have a fishless cycling 29 gallon with fish flakes.
Yesterday, I posted a thread with a picture and It shown an Ammonia test of 0, Nitrite of 0, and Nitrate as 5. I was planning on bringing in two guppies today and luckily I tested the water and my ammonia spiked to .25 and so did my nitrite. Luckily I haven't added any fish, but what should I do about it?
Here are the pictures
LLeQCIt038JVQjSK8PJAA_FoC6MWoCM3xcmwjFxcEdma7ugoaiDwbjp9ByudpkSumNIPKJ-GPgpUwOIqZ3E=w491-h654-no.jpg

QExGlL3hWCwJfw6L-AUgZluH7TUdAznhnce4RlUILl_KbRztZJVojoAS0tN0xVBN-8DrOWt3D6OdbnHoFmo=w491-h654-no.jpg

Ammonia on the left, Nitrite in the middle and Nitrate on the right.
I used an API Master Test Kit

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How long has the tank been cycling? Doesn't sound like it's finished properly yet.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If there's no fish, no need to change water imo. You only start 50% water changes if the ammonia or nitrite spike when you've got fish in the tank.

Let it cycle. Test it daily for a week. As long as your ammonia & nitrites eventually drop back to 0, even if your nitrates get to nearly 40ppm, it's a good thing! Don't add the stress of adding fish yet. Let it stabilise.

What have you been using to feed the BB as it cycles?

Daxisapit

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When did you did your partial water changes..
I was told to do not water changes because there are no fish.

How long has the tank been cycling? Doesn't sound like it's finished properly yet.
Nearly two months.

If there's no fish, no need to change water imo. You only start 50% water changes if the ammonia or nitrite spike when you've got fish in the tank.

Let it cycle. Test it daily for a week. As long as your ammonia & nitrites eventually drop back to 0, even if your nitrates get to nearly 40ppm, it's a good thing! Don't add the stress of adding fish yet. Let it stabilise.

What have you been using to feed the BB as it cycles?
I have been using fish flakes but I have learned that pure ammonia is easier. I may have to try that.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have been using fish flakes but I have learned that pure ammonia is easier. I may have to try that.
I used fish flakes and pure ammonia scares me although the experts on this forum seem to be fine with it. The most frequent source of ammonia recommended to me via this forum has been frozen shrimp. Maybe try that before pure ammonia?

Daxisapit

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I used fish flakes and pure ammonia scares me although the experts on this forum seem to be fine with it. The most frequent source of ammonia recommended to me via this forum has been frozen shrimp. Maybe try that before pure ammonia?
Yea, pure ammonia scares me too. Frozen shrimp like we eat?

Rythmyc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pure Ammonia is perfectly safe. You'll do a 90% water change before adding fish anyways. I have now cycled 3 tanks of various sizes using it.

175, 35 and 10 Gallon

Daxisapit

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Pure Ammonia is perfectly safe. You'll do a 90% water change before adding fish anyways. I have now cycled 3 tanks of various sizes using it.

175, 35 and 10 Gallon
How do you use it though?

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No need to worry about using ammonia if you are doing a fishless cycle it'll hopefully speed up the cycle for you then once you have the water parameters right you can start adding fish but do it a few at a time so that the bacteria colony can keep pace.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I highly recommend using pure ammonia to fishless cycle with. Much easier to control the dose and know how much ammonia is being processed during and after the cycle has finished.

This thread is a great step by step guide on how to fishless cycle using pure ammonia. There's also an ammonia cycling calculator in it -

Ammonia Instructions when Cycling with TSS+ or other Bacterial Starter

Daxisapit

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I highly recommend using pure ammonia to fishless cycle with. Much easier to control the dose and know how much ammonia is being processed during and after the cycle has finished.

This thread is a great step by step guide on how to fishless cycle using pure ammonia. There's also an ammonia cycling calculator in it -

Ammonia Instructions when Cycling with TSS+ or other Bacterial Starter
Thank you. I tested my water and the parameters have gone back to 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5 nitrates.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom