Ammonia and Nitrite Spike

• Thread starter Mishti
  • Start date

Mishti

I had a fully cycled tank. added new fishes and had a bad ick outbreak. Got that treated with Heat and Ick-X but because of regular water replacements, nitrite and ammonia had a spike. because of which I lost a fish too. I added one and only bacteria to get the tank back to normal and I add prime everytime I do a water change. right now the reading is:
Ammonia : between 0-.25
Nitrite : .25
Nitrate : 0

Can I add prime directly to tank to bind the ammonia / nitrite while the tank goes back to normal? so none of the other fishes get hurt?

jkkgron2

Fishlore VIP
Prime can help, but for the most part it’s used as a dechlorinator. The only way to get the tank back to normal is by doing waterchanges or risking having a build up of ammonia or nitrites. A 50% water change every 2 days for 2 weeks should get the tank back on track.

Mishti

Okay. Thank you for the response. I was doing daily until yesterday. Probably should give a break today and do it tomorrow again. Meanwhile shall I add prime just to be on safe side?

jkkgron2

Fishlore VIP
Mishti said:
Okay. Thank you for the response. I was doing daily until yesterday. Probably should give a break today and do it tomorrow again. Meanwhile shall I add prime just to be on safe side?
You could but I’m not sure how much help it’ll be, right now there’s actually a debate about whether prime binds ammonia or not, so far the general consensus has been no. From what I understand it doesn’t really help, and most fish can tolerate a small amount of ammonia or nitrites for a very short period of time. I haven’t checked in on the thread for a few days so if I’m wrong then someone please chime in and correct me :)

Top Bottom