Ammonia and Nitrite spike in betta tank. Please HELP

• Thread starter BettasAreSuperior
  • Start date

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
I have a 5 gallon betta tank and I have an ammonia and nirtite spike. My betta has fin rot for the past month and he's doing fine surprisingly. But I have a spike!! Help what do I
do?!??!!

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0.50-1.0ppm
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm
8.2 ph
I have him in a 5.5 gallon betta tank with a top fin 10 silentstream power filter
I am treating him with api aquarium salt and following aquarium co op article on aquarium salt.
For cycling I added api quick start and waited a week. I saw an article that said if they are no ammonia or nitrites the quick start will die. oh no..
He has been in the tank for about a two months. I think his fin rot is getting better?? But I´m not sure?
I change 30 percent Of the water once a week when he did not have fin rot
When he does have fin rot I change 50 percent of the water each week.
I vaccum the substrate.
I use api master freshwater test kit.
I have a filter and heater the tank temp stays at 78 to 80 degrees.
It only has one male betta.
He does not have constipation problems I feed him 6 days a week
I feed him 2 times a day Each time I give 5 pellets ( total pellets in one day is 10 pellets and the pellets are VERY small) I feed him freeze dried bloodworms twice a week.
I feed hikari micro pellets and freeze dries bloodworms.
I feed hikari and omega one
First sign was discolartion on the fins and it was a red color on the edges and now there are kind of raggedy fins.
I noticed he is resting more but is still eating like crazy.
I think his fin rot stared two weeks ago??
I use top fin water conditioner and api quick start.

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0.50-1.0ppm
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm

Heron

Well Known
Keep the ammonia and nitrite down with regular water changes. You could add prime each day to detoxify the ammonia. Are you sure the tank was cycled in the first place. Adding quick start and waiting a week is not enough to fully cycle a tank. A tank isn't cycled until your ammonia and nitrites are both 0 after the fish have been added.
If your tank isn't cycled or your having a spike the remedy is the same just follow the procedure of a fish in cycle. There are loads of articles here on fishlore on how to do this.
I would prioritize getting the chemistry correct over treating the finrot because if the fish isn't in good water the finrot treatment won't work very well.
Clean water and a little salt should cure your finrot issues.

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
Heron said:
Keep the ammonia and nitrite down with regular water changes. You could add prime each day to detoxify the ammonia. Are you sure the tank was cycled in the first place. Adding quick start and waiting a week is not enough to fully cycle a tank. A tank isn't cycled until your ammonia and nitrites are both 0 after the fish have been added.
If your tank isn't cycled or your having a spike the remedy is the same just follow the procedure of a fish in cycle. There are loads of articles here on fishlore on how to do this.
I would prioritize getting the chemistry correct over treating the finrot because if the fish isn't in good water the finrot treatment won't work very well.
Clean water and a little salt should cure your finrot issues.
Thanks. Also, I already am adding aquarium salt and dosing api quick start every day.I was so dumb not to check the parameters before I added him. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: What's very weird is he is still eating and energetic. I was doing 30 to 40 percent water changes every week before he got fin rot. Is my test kit lying?

BettaFishObsessed

I would recommend doing a 40% water change every other day to help bring down the ammonia. I doubt your test kit was lying, the API Test Kits are reliable. I agree that aquarium salt will help. Test your water daily to make sure that ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates stay down. I don’t think your tank was fully cycled. For the next time you cycle a tank, I would recommend referencing this article: (I also recommend using Dr Tims Aquatics Ammonium Chloride to add as a pure ammonia source to the tank. It’s available on Chewy.com)
For now I would recommend continuing to add API Quick Start, and testing the water daily. Within about a week or two you should see nitrites and ammonia go down and nitrates spike. A little while after this, ammonia and nitrites should stay at zero while nitrates stay at less than 40 ppm. This means your tank has cycled. I hope that your betta ends up being fine!

Heron

Well Known
When you cycle a tank without a fish in the tank you need to feed the bacteria to let them multiply. Usually this is done by adding ammonia. You can add fish food and let it rot and produce ammonia but this takes longer. If you don't feed the bacteria the cycling process won't start until you add fish and they feed the bacteria with the ammonia they produce as waste.
Be careful when adding salt, water evaporates but salt doesn't so when adding salt regularly the levels will build up. Only add as much salt as needed for the amount of water you remove not the water you add or the volume of the tank. Bettas are freshwater fish so they can only tolerate a low level of salt so don't risk overdoing it.

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
UPDATE: The ammonia and nitrite went both to 0 ppm within a week. Yay!

Heron

Well Known
Great to hear that everything worked out ok.
Now you know how to do it your that little bit wiser. I've been in the hobby years and I'm still learning, that's what's great about fish keeping, you never stop learning.
I always remember what I was told by a teacher at school that a mistake isn't a bad thing if you learn from it.

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
Heron said:
Great to hear that everything worked out ok.
Now you know how to do it your that little bit wiser. I've been in the hobby years and I'm still learning, that's what's great about fish keeping, you never stop learning.
I always remember what I was told by a teacher at school that a mistake isn't a bad thing if you learn from it.
Yes, I have been in the hobby for about 2 years. We never stop learning. I saw so worried my betta was not going to make it.....lol, it's funny how we worry about our fish so much.

Top Bottom