Ammonia And Nitrate But No Nitrite

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by spookyjim, Jun 18, 2019.

1. spookyjimNew MemberMember

I have two axolotls in a approx. 90L tank

tank water
    ammonia 0.25-0.50ppm
    nitrite - 0.0ppm
    nitrate - 0.0-5.0ppm

tap water is
    ammonia - 0.25 ppm
    nitrite - 0.25ppm
    nitrate - 0.0ppm

we cycled the tank before putting the axolotls in and were told that the water parameters were perfect when we got the water tested at the pet shop.
    there hasn’t been a spike in ammonia or nitrite and nitrate is still so low. we started cycling this tank in march, 2019 and added the axolotls in May, 2019.
    we have been doing 20% water changes every other day.
    we use the API liquid test kit.
    does anyone know why this is occurring or what i can do to fix it?
    thanks.

2. LMOValued MemberMember

How did you cycle the tank initially - did you use pure ammonia? It could be that the filtration capacity of your filter isn't big enough to handle the large bio-load of the 2 axolotls so isn't able to process the ammonia at the rate at which it's being produced.

3. HeronValued MemberMember

The presence of ammonia in a cycled aquarium may be a sign that your filter can't keep up with the ammonia load. Are you feeding them too much? The more food in the more waste out and uneaten food also breaks down into ammonia. I don't know much about axolotls so I don't know what they need. No nitrites just means you have sufficient of those bacteria that convert nitrites to nitrates to keep on top of nitrites productions. Your lack of nitrates is probably down to your frequent water changes. Your water is probably as good as it can be. You will struggle to get ammonia to 0 when you are adding it with your tap water.

4. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Actually this isn't true. A well established filter with a good amount of beneficial bacteria has no trouble eating up that ammonia in less than 24 hours. I have .25-.5ppm ammonia in my tap. And it is always gone in less than a day.

Also, I wouldn't say its the filter itself that can't keep up with the bioload. It means there isn't enough beneficial bacteria to keep up with the bioload. You can have a HUGE filter with tons of gallons per hour turnover and it won't do anything if it doesn't have beneficial bacteria in it. :)

5. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Are you using prime? I will occasionally have prime show skewed .25 ammonia erroneously when I test with api. I only test right before a water change or a few days after for this reason.

6. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

7. LadyArtemisValued MemberMember