Ammonia And Ammonium And A Ryukin

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I checked the levels of my fish tank that is on its 15th day of cycling everything seemed fine, where is should be according to the api master kit...everything but the ammonia. Now I'm no fool I know what ammonia can do to a fish so I started googling a better way to test for free ammonia since the api test cant tell ammonia and ammonium apart. I found the seachum ammonia (free and total) test kit and I bought it with out hesitation. The ammonia is laying around at 0.1 ppm (at least I think it tests at ppm) but its EXTREMELY low on the scale that goes with it, we also have top fin ammonia remover and we have been using that. I'll post pictures of where the ammonia is but the ammonium Is out of control. This all boils down to one of my three ryukins in my 50 gallon tank. When we got him he was just orange and white but hes gotten bigger and we dont know if hes just changing colour or some how got ammonia burn....but we dont know how since it's so low or if I'm missing something I'll also post a picture of him as well.

Attachments

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ammonium is non-toxic so shouldn't damage anything. It's high because of using things like Prime or another ammonia "remover" that claim to remove Ammonia but actually only convert the toxic ammonia to the non-toxic ammonium. The beneficial bacteria consume both types.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dch48 said:
Ammonium is non-toxic so shouldn't damage anything. It's high because of using things like Prime or another ammonia "remover" that claim to remove Ammonia but actually only convert the toxic ammonia to the non-toxic ammonium. The beneficial bacteria consume both types.
Yes but is my ryukin okay? Or is he just turning into a calico coloured ryukin

I really need to know if my ryukin has burns I'm really worried here. They look like hes actually changing colour because when I first got him he was orange and white then he turned orange white and slightly gold then he started getting darker orange patches and some black but he looks like hes going calico but I dont know

Okay so I posted a thread some where else about ammonia and ammonium I know the difference and which one is toxic. My ammonia is very low right now (0.1ppm) and I'm not sure if my ryukin Is just changing colour or has ammonia burn some how. He started orange and white then started to get gold to him now he has dark orange spots and some black but it doesnt look like burns to my knowledge it looks like hes going calico but I'm not sure. I'll post a picture I just need help

Attachments

Albifrons

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with him to me, the black is just his skin changing color as he matures.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Albifrons said:
It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with him to me, the black is just his skin changing color as he matures.
Ah so he is going calico on us, kinda figured that's what was happening because he started changing colour already.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So we did a 50% water change on my 50 gallon yesterday. My water readings for yesterday after the water change were as such:
*EDIT* this is the 15th day of my tank cycling

Ph: 7.4
Ammonia: 0.2ppm
Nitrite: 2.0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

And now today they are
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia: 0.1ppm
Nitrite: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

So as you can see my ammonia dropped but that's fine because the ammonium is ....really high but meh and the nitrite dropped over night and through the day and we dont know how because we didn't add anything to it other than the aquavita seed liquid to the filter and the nitrates are gone WHY ARE THEY GONE?

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plants and algae can use up nitrates, but you would have to have a lot to see a drastic decrease.

I have *heard* about nitrates gassing off sometimes but the people never manage to repeat it so most likely it was due to somethung else.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I only have three plants in my 50 gallon and they aren't taking up that much. This is its 15th day of cycling so I'm seriously confused if this is a bad thing and also I havent replaced anything

fjh said:
Plants and algae can use up nitrates, but you would have to have a lot to see a drastic decrease.

I have *heard* about nitrates gassing off sometimes but the people never manage to repeat it so most likely it was due to somethung else.
What else could cause this in a cycling tank and is this bad.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would retest first. There are multiple places to make unintentional errors when doing the liquid nitrate test. Bang the HECK out of bottle #2 - against the floor, counter, your knee, etc. before you test. Add drops from bottle #1, then cap & shake for 5 second, add drops from bottle #2, shake for 1 full minute, then let sit for 5 min, then read the results.
Also - have you tested your source water? Maybe you had nitrates there which were giving you false readings & now they are gone? (Just guessing on this second one since my tap Ammonia can vary from 0 to 4.0!)

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kyleena696 said:
Did you clean the filter media when you did the water change?
I never do that, you're not suppose to clean it right?

Mom2some said:
I would retest first. There are multiple places to make unintentional errors when doing the liquid nitrate test. Bang the HECK out of bottle #2 - against the floor, counter, your knee, etc. before you test. Add drops from bottle #1, then cap & shake for 5 second, add drops from bottle #2, shake for 1 full minute, then let sit for 5 min, then read the results.
Also - have you tested your source water? Maybe you had nitrates there which were giving you false readings & now they are gone? (Just guessing on this second one since my tap Ammonia can vary from 0 to 4.0!)
I just did all that you said before you posted this and still getting a reading of 0!!! I had to call my dad for help and even hes scratching his head because we did nothing and they just proofed! Our water has no nitrates but our 15 gallon has nitrates right now but it's only been cycling for 7 days

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lauradesu said:
You are (esp the mechanical filtration will need physical removal of funk - but you want to use tank water or dechlorinated water so as not to damage your B.B.

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lauradesu said:
You're supposed to clean it in dirty tank water. [edit: or clean dechlorinated water as stated above. I use tank water during a water change just to be extra safe].I do mine every 2-3 weeks, whenever my filters start to slow down a bit.

I was just throwing out ideas that could have sucked up your nitrates or destroyed your cycle. I'm stumped now.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would wait 12-24 hours & retest. We had a poster who was getting a clear result, not even yellow, one night. With a test kit that had worked previously, was not out of date, etc and then the next night bang - it was normal again. Unless your nitrates were super low, a large water change should not make them zero. What media are you using in your tank?

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What do you use as a dechlorinator?
Also, what were the parameters before your water change?
Mom2some said:
I would wait 12-24 hours & retest. We had a poster who was getting a clear result, not even yellow, one night. With a test kit that had worked previously, was not out of date, etc and then the next night bang - it was normal again. Unless your nitrates were super low, a large water change should not make them zero. What media are you using in your tank?
Doesn't prime interfer with test results if it be hasn't been 12-24 hours since it's added? I don't know if it affects nitrate or not though.

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kyleena696 said:
What do you use as a dechlorinator?
Also, what were the parameters before your water change?

Doesn't prime interfer with test results if it be hasn't been 12-24 hours since it's added? I don't know if it affects nitrate or not though.
I thought the only effect from prime is that locked up ammonia or nitrate still show up on the test even though they are detoxified?

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cardeater said:
I thought the only effect from prime is that locked up ammonia or nitrate still show up on the test even though they are detoxified?
Did you mean nitrite?
I honestly don't know. I've just read that once you add prime you wait 12-24 hours to test because it can skew the test results but I've never heard anyone say how it changes the results.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom