Ammonia Always At 0.25ppm Help

1. Jordan thomas

Jordan thomas Initiate Member

I have a 24 gal tank and the ammonia reading is at 0.25ppm constantly on the API master test kit.
    The tank has been up for 2-3 months and I’ve had nitrate reading the past 6 weeks 10-15ppm at water change, my tank is heavily planted.
    I did an in fish cycle with German blue rams as the pet store told me I was good to go, now I’m scared to stop dosing prime as I don’t want my breeding pair to die, any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

According to api the ammonia test has an accuracy of +/- .25. Thats takes into the test itself and user error which is accurate enough for hobbyists. I wouldn't worry too much.

3. OP
    OP
    Jordan thomas

Jordan thomas Initiate Member

Okay awesome, thank you very much, that gives me piece of mind, my tap water has 0.25 ammonia in it and on facebook everyone was saying that’s why, but I was thinking Yeah okay but my BB would get rid of that in under 24 hours so it wouldn’t be hanging around until next WC.

4. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Thats also a part that most people misjudge. If your source water has .25 a 25% water change would only add 25% of that value to your tank. So you would add what .075 even a 50% water change should only add .125. So no the little in your source water isnt the problem.