ammo-lock?

1. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I've never added anything additional to my tank outside water conditioner and plant ferts.

My tank is in a mini cycle and its really bad. Ammonia is off the charts my nitrates are still at like 20 then my nitrites are super high too. Would ammo lock be helpful? I remember seeing it reccomended so someone before.

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure that it would help get your cycle back, from what I understand, its just like the ammonia removing chips you can buy, it would lock up the ammonia, but also make it unavailable to the bacteria.

3. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

No! No! Don't do it!!!!

Those things are not good for your tank. Please don't! Water changes will be a healthier way to go. What changes were made that tossed you into a mini-cycle? I've never ever had that happen to any of my tanks.

4. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Water change + extra prime is the way to go. Good luck! I hope your tank does ok!

5. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Ammo Lock appears to take the same chemical action as Prime and the rest of our ammonia-detoxing water conditioners. The API website says that it binds ammonia in a non-toxic state until the biological filter can break it down. Sounds like what Prime and the others do.

Therefore, I'd say that it can be added to the list of conditioners that are useful in emergencies like this. Water change plus ammonia detox equals fish surviving a mini-cycle.

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I plan on just doing water changes, I was just curious as to what everyone thought of the product. I wouldn't use it unless I've heard first hand that it actually works. I just have zero experience with it and more or less was hoping it really worked.

1/2 off the price of fish.....not thinking basically. I added 17 fish over two days (16 day 1 and 1 day 2). Normally with the fish I buy I could probably get away with it with no issues. I've added 30 tetras before at once to this tank and nothing happened but the bioload was much much lower than the ones I added. Kicking myself because all of the fish I added were bigger with bigger bioloads than tetras.

-4 parrot cichlids (three tiny and one about 3 inches)
    -1 Rainbow shark (7")
    -1 Common pleco (tiny, maybe 2.5")
    -6 Bala sharks
    -3 kribs (all three tiny maybe 1.5" long)
    -1 kissing gourami (again small, maybe 2")
    -1 Severm (small, 2")

I am so kicking myself I can't believe I did that. In this past week 3 of my cory cats died, 1 molly, 1 swordtail, my rainbow, 4 balas.

Oh my goodness I competely forgot I added 6 clown loaches too. So I added 23 fish not 17......I can't believe I made a mistake like this.......

Luckily everyone else looks fine for the most part. My severm looks a little stressed but he's still eating and my kissing gourami is acting weird but still eating and swimming around.

hummm. I really hope this is true. I don't want my fish to die. I feel terrible.

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Ive used ammo chips no problem. When my fry tank minicycled the amonia shot from 0 to 15ppm in about 3 days(tilapia fry put out a TON of amonia). I ended up pouring a crud load of ammo chips into it and it came down enough so that they tilis could survive, however some of your fish are scaless, very very sensitive. The tilapia do fine even if the amonias at 2-5ppm.

8. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

We're not talking about ammo chips (though they can be used as emergency ammonia absorption, as well. I keep a bottle of them around. You never know when the ability to remove ammonia from the water will be useful). We're talking about Ammo Lock, which is a water conditioner that binds ammonia in a non-toxic form.

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

..wow...i cant belive i just messed that up. My bad i apologize.*facedesk*

10. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

No worries. Not like I haven't done exactly this same thing dozens (hundreds?) of times on the forum in the past. ;D I just wanted to clarify what we were talking about.

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

12. Alasse Well Known Member Member

I have used the ammonia lock product, always have some on hand. Very very handy product to use when required.

13. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I was gonna say prime it up and let it roll, keep up with the water changes and you'll have it back in no time. If the ammo lock is the same thing then go for it.

My only other thought is to watch your pH, sometimes when this happens your pH tanks low and really slows down the cycle. Might have to add something to help keep the alkalinity up if this happens.

14. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Ammo-Lock isn't quite the same. The way it deals with ammonia is the same (or similar). However, it likely doesn't have all of the extras that Prime has. For some people, this is a positive. For some, this is a negative. I think most of the forum members fall in the latter category. ;D

15. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Unless of course all you have is dechlor and dont want to have to buy a bottle of prime :p. That stuff is exspensive 0.0

16. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

As both the ammonia and nitrites are high, I don't believe there would be enough benefit from AmmoLock. It is true that they changed their formula to detox and not remove ammonia; however, it does nothing to help deal with the nitrites.

Good luck regaining the cycle in your tank.