Ammo lock in action

1. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Alright I decided to try the ammo lock to see if it really helps. My tank is in a mini cycle. It has been getting better but very slowly I'm hoping this works like the package claims it should.

3/25/12 after a 50% water change my water tested:
    Ammonia 0.5ppm
    Nitrate 40ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm

I dosed ammolock as the bottle directed and it says dose it every 2 days until ammonia is no longer detected. It says if it lasts more than 7 days to clean the tank, service your filter and reduce feeding.

3/26/12 (no water change) my water tested:
    Ammonia 0.25ppm
    Nitrate 30ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm

I will continue to update this post as I continue to go though my cycle.

UPDATE:
    3/27/12 -- Tested water then dosed tank again with amount directed on bottle.
    Ammonia: 0.25ppm
    Nitrate 30ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm

No change, hoping to see change again now that I dosed the tank again.

2. TayJay76 Member Member

You do know that the ammolock will eat up all the ammonia, leaving non for your bacteria? If its a mini-cycle then you should be doing water changes to help speed it up. The ammolock will only prevent bacterial growth. Let us know how it goes;)

3. toosie Well Known Member Member

The name is deceiving isn't it? Ammo Lock actually does the same thing to ammonia as Prime does. It converts it to a non toxic form but still leaves it available for beneficial bacteria to use. What it doesn't do is detoxify nitrites and nitrates the way Prime does. It treats the water for chlorine, chloramine and so does Prime but it does not take care of heavy metals which is something else that Prime does do.

Here is a link to the products capabilities from the manufacture.

http://www.apifishcare.com/products/product.aspx?productid=45

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I will be doing my second dose when I get home from class today. Hoping to see more improvement!

It does not eat it up, it detoxifies the ammonia making it less harmful to fish but still leaves it to be available for your bacteria.

I completely agree with this. Atleast that's what the bottle claims and also further research has hinted at. I'm more doing this as a so I can see for myself and if it works that's another product that could be useful for other people.

5. TayJay76 Member Member

Ah I see. Then never mind.