Ammo Lock And Increased Ammonia Level? Help

1. Ronoc94

Ronoc94 Member Member

So i started a 60 gallon tall a few weeks ago (beginning of april) and i added 10 tigerbarbs and 10 large bronze corys. And 2 juvenile blue acaras.

I had all these guys in there before the tank was done cycling 100%. After adding the fish, i tested my water and found that i had 0.50ppm of ammonia.

Alarmed i went the quickest route of recovery for my tank which i was led to believe was AMMO LOCK.

Since i started using ammo lock over the past two weeks. My ammonia level went from .50ppm - 8.0ppm or higher. My api kit doesnt even test this colour accurately.

Iv been dosing the instructed amount. 30ml for 60g of water every 2 days.

If anyone has any experience with ammo lock and any recommendations they would be greatly appriciated.

I do have to say though, i do believe the ammo lock has been keeping my fish alive because if i did have toxic 8.0ppm all my fish would die i presume?

This is my first issue with ammonia 1526987608544.jpg

2. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

I would do a very large water change first. Then use a bacterial supplement like tetra safe start, or seachem stability. Also seachem prime will lock ammonia, but only up to 2ppm. I imagine amolock works the same. The thing about prime is it also De-chlorinates the water and neutralizes heavy metals. Is an all in 1 water conditioner.

PS I like your stocking.

3. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

If Ammolock is keeping your fish alive, then keep using it. I'm cycling another 55 gallon tank in my basement, because now that my 5 angelfish are grown, the tank is overstocked. I do a 25 percent water change every other day, but I dose them everyday with AmQuel to detoxify ammonia. Until my new tank is cycled, I believe that it's the AmQuel that's keeping them alive.

4. OP
    OP
    Ronoc94

Ronoc94 Member Member

Iv been doing 30 percent water changes daily. I did two 50% changes yesterday and the ammonia test reads the exact same. Honestly im stumped. I have no clue what to do to fix this. I heard that API quickstart is also good.

I dose flourish excel aswell. Not enough though.

And thankyou, once the blue acaras have grown a little bit im going to be adding a firemouth. My lfs firemouths are half grown and the blue acaras are just juveniles. Ill also be adding another 5-8 tigerbarbs.

So i should continue with the ammolock and hope the ammonia goes away? On the bottle it says dose every two days and if you still test positive start water changes.

Iv been doing 30% everyday for the last week and i did two 50% water changes yesterday and the results read the exact same.

5. finnipper59

I currently have 5 grown angelfish, 4 cory cats, 6 redeye tetras, and a betta. These angelfish produce a phenomenal amount of poop everyday. I vacuum out the tank every other day and would almost swear that someone else is feeding them too because there seem to be more poop than the food I give them.

My tank has been cycled since I put the entire stock in as juveniles, but now with them grown, I'm having ammonia problems with a fully cycled tank and water changes. 5 angelfish are too much for a 55 gallon tank.

6. OP
    OP
    Ronoc94

Ronoc94 Member Member

I think im going to go and get some seachem stability and see if that helps at all.

7. Dave125g

Consider this... If your ammonia is 100 ppm a 50 % water change will only get it down to 50 ppm.
    I would do as large a change as you can. 60-80% if that's possible.

Another way to get an accurate ammonia reading is to fill the test tube halfway with fresh ammonia free water and half tank water. Do the test and double the results.

8. OP
    OP
    Ronoc94

Ronoc94 Member Member

The most i can do without taking the fish out would be 60-70% im going to do this tomorrow as today im busy all day. Ill keep you guys posted thanks.

9. Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

I'm kinda curious, I know ammo lock actually converts ammonia to ammonium so what you might be getting is a false positive with the api water tester because it detects ammonium and ammonia. I heavily suggest you get the seachem total and free ammonia test because it's more accurate for testing ammonia and ammonium.

10. Dave125g

The other thing that hasn't been asked yet is your ph. A lower ph is better for high ammonia levels as it is a bit safer for fish. Problem is if the ph is less then 7.0 is will take far longer to get this tank cycled.

11. OP
    OP
    Ronoc94

Ronoc94 Member Member

Awesome ill look into this. Thanks alot.

Ph is kept at 7.4

12. Dave125g

Ok ph is good.

13. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Ammolock will immediately give you a reading of 8 ppm ammonia. It will also keep the ammonia bound so that the bacteria can’t use it.
    Do enough water changes for ammonia to be under .5 ppm. Then stop using the ammolock.

14. OP
    OP
    Ronoc94

Ronoc94 Member Member

Iv been doing daily 30% water changes and yesterday i did two 50%.

Would you suggest a daily 50 or 60%?

15. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I would start with a 95% honestly. Get all that ammolock out of your tank. I’ve used it. It’s a gimmick/band aid.
    Then base your daily water changes on your ammonia readings. If ammonia + nitrite is less than 1ppm, dose prime for volume and test again in 24 hours. If it’s above 1 ppm, do a 50% water change, dose prime for volume and test again in 24 hours. <if ammonia is 2ppm or above, do a bigger water change>

16. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Member Member

I’ve used zeolite crystals in addition to water changes to help remove ammonia from my tank. That is not a substitute for water changes, but it will help.

17. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Member Member

An important thing i forgot: salt releases any ammonia that has been caught in the zeolite crystals. Make sure to remove the crystals before adding any aquarium salts.

18. OP
    OP
    Ronoc94

Ronoc94 Member Member

Iv done three 90% water changes and daily 50%. My ammonia reading is the same idk what to do.

19. finnipper59

Angel the gypsy is right. There are other water conditioners that will detoxify the ammonia in your tank like AmQuel or Aqueon water conditioner. But Ammolock does it in such a way that the ammonia removing bacteria can't change the ammonia. Even the other brands don't remove ammonia, but the will detoxify it for the fish and still allow the Nitrosomas bacteria to break it down to nitrites.

20. OP
    OP
    Ronoc94

Ronoc94 Member Member

So would you recommend just trying one of those two? Im currently out of conditioner atm so i need more. I will not be useing ammolock again.