20 Gallon Tank ammmonia won't go down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs.Price

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You should do a 50% water change as soon as possible...Wait a couple hours, test again... and do another one if needed, especially if there are fish in the tank. If your tank is in the process of cycling and you're doing a fish in cycle... expect to do a lot of water changes, as many as needed to keep the ammonia as low as you can get it! (and please tell me that you aren't keeping 1 acrid cichlid, 2 American flagfish, 1 bumblebee goby, 1 albino bristlenose pleco in the 20 gal? That tank is way too small for that stock and would be the reason you are having ammonia problems.)

Last edited:
OP
fishaddiction

fishaddiction

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You should do a 50% water change as soon as possible...Wait a couple hours, test again... and do another one if needed, especially if there are fish in the tank. If your tank is in the process of cycling and you're doing a fish in cycle... expect to do a lot of water changes, as many as needed to keep the ammonia as low as you can get it! (and please tell me that you aren't keeping 1 acrid cichlid, 2 American flagfish, 1 bumblebee goby, 1 albino bristlenose pleco in the 20 gal? That tank is way too small for that stock and would be the reason you are having ammonia problems.)
I have removed the Acei and the Jewels are at minimum size and I will.relocate them In a little bit of time also I have a bushynose pleco thats also very small and I'm using prime with my water changes and also the tank was been cycled a while ago I just put in shrimp (10) a couple of weeks ago and it turns out that the my fish love shrimp so after they all died I couldn't find all the body's and it spiked the ammonia

Last edited:

Mrs.Price

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have removed the Acei and the Jewels are at minimum size and I will.relocate them In a little bit of time also I have a bushynose pleco thats also very small and I'm using prime with my water changes and also the tank was been cycled a while ago I just put in shrimp (10) a couple of weeks ago and it turns out that the my fish love shrimp so after they all died I couldn't find all the body's and it spiked the ammonia
I would definitely hop on that 50% water change then

skjl47

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello; Sounds like you may have found a potential cause for the ammonia spike. Decay of dead plants, animals and excess food can add ammonia.
Here is a link to a site that may have some useful information.

http:///nitrogen_cycle.html

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just wanted to add that Ammolock works basically the same way that Prime does. It 'binds' free ammonia for 24-ish hours, but it'll still show up on a liquid salicylate test like the API one. The bigger concern is why the tank's biofilter isn't processing it. Hopefully it's just a case of overfeeding, but keep a close eye on it, it may be something else entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Weekly

Votes: 47 66.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 13 18.3%

Top Bottom