ammmonia won't go down 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by fishaddiction, Dec 21, 2012.

1. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I own one 20 gallon tank and I'm using ammo lock trying to just bring it down right now its at 2 and it wont go down.

2. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

You should do a 50% water change as soon as possible...Wait a couple hours, test again... and do another one if needed, especially if there are fish in the tank. If your tank is in the process of cycling and you're doing a fish in cycle... expect to do a lot of water changes, as many as needed to keep the ammonia as low as you can get it! (and please tell me that you aren't keeping 1 acrid cichlid, 2 American flagfish, 1 bumblebee goby, 1 albino bristlenose pleco in the 20 gal? That tank is way too small for that stock and would be the reason you are having ammonia problems.)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  3. oscardude

oscardude Valued Member Member

Use Prime at water changes. It will detoxify ammonia for 24 hours. I would do daily 50% water changes.

4. shellieca

shellieca Valued Member Member

Definitely do 50+ water changes, multiple ones in a day if need be if you have fish in the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I have removed the Acei and the Jewels are at minimum size and I will.relocate them In a little bit of time also I have a bushynose pleco thats also very small and I'm using prime with my water changes and also the tank was been cycled a while ago I just put in shrimp (10) a couple of weeks ago and it turns out that the my fish love shrimp so after they all died I couldn't find all the body's and it spiked the ammonia

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  6. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

I would definitely hop on that 50% water change then ;)

7. s

skjl47 Valued Member Member

Hello; Sounds like you may have found a potential cause for the ammonia spike. Decay of dead plants, animals and excess food can add ammonia.
    Here is a link to a site that may have some useful information.

8. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Just wanted to add that Ammolock works basically the same way that Prime does. It 'binds' free ammonia for 24-ish hours, but it'll still show up on a liquid salicylate test like the API one. The bigger concern is why the tank's biofilter isn't processing it. Hopefully it's just a case of overfeeding, but keep a close eye on it, it may be something else entirely.

9. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

Sometimes its because the filter hasn't been cleaned or the gravel not vacuumed enough.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice