Amethyst For Decor?

Kysarkel000
Hey all,

So the other day my husband was at his parents house and found this rock he has from his childhood. He brought it home and asked if he could keep it in one of the fish tanks lol (he's cute, they're all my fish tanks ).

I believe it's an amethyst. Is it okay to keep in a fish tank?

If so, how should I go about cleaning it?

Thanks in advance!

Thunder_o_b
Hey all,

So the other day my husband was at his parents house and found this rock he has from his childhood. He brought it home and asked if he could keep it in one of the fish tanks lol (he's cute, they're all my fish tanks ).

I believe it's an amethyst. Is it okay to keep in a fish tank?

If so, how should I go about cleaning it?

Thanks in advance!
Yes. I make extensive use of amethyst (I hate auto correct).

Coptapia
Hot water and a tooth brush?

DoubleDutch
Amethyst is a purple quartz crystal.

I think you're talking about something else if you're reffering to a "rock"

Thunder_o_b
Some of our amethyst.

1. Chevron amethyst.

_MG_9249.0.jpg

_MG_9516-Edit.0.jpg

_MG_9618-Edit.0.jpg

Berryblue
I was totally inspired by Thunder_o_b and added amethyst to my tank as well.

IMG_0267.jpg
IMG_0261.jpg

ChrisGee
I believe Quartz are ok for fish tanks and amethyst is a type of quartz. I have some clear, white and smoky pieces in my tanks which I've used some to tie my Java Fern to. and I believe amethyst would be ok as well - I would just make sure you know what it is for sure, be it rock or mineral.

Mcasella
Crystals are fine for tanks, however any geode type crystal need to be tested to see if the material they are attached to is safe.

DoubleDutch
Crystals are fine for tanks, however any geode type crystal need to be tested to see if the material they are attached to is safe.
Doesn't it depend on what crystals they are? Amathist = quarts / silica do aint an issue. But there are a lot of other crystals that contain sulphur, copper a.s.o.

Lynn78too
Amethyst is a purple quartz crystal.

I think you're talking about something else if you're reffering to a "rock"

Seriously? This isn't a geology class. People say dirt, do you correct them by saying soil?

There can also be impurities within the crystals so be aware of any flecks that aren't purple or clear as those parts aren't amethyst.

DoubleDutch
Seriously? This isn't a geology class. People say dirt, do you correct them by saying soil?

There can also be impurities within the crystals so be aware of any flecks that aren't purple or clear as those parts aren't amethyst.
Hohohoho Lynn,

What I meand to say the OP tells about a kind of rock that is found and then thinks it is called Amathyst.

I simply suppose that someone who finds Amathyst doesn't reffer to it as a rock?
Not quite logical to me, but could be me huh.

So I am not correcting someone but simply asking myself if we're talking about the same thing.

Mcasella
Doesn't it depend on what crystals they are? Amathist = quarts / silica do aint an issue. But there are a lot of other crystals that contain sulphur, copper a.s.o.
Geodes normally have a base mineral they are attached to (or where inside of) that could contain suspect materials that might mess with ph or be toxic in an aquarium setting.

WTFish?
Hohohoho Lynn,

What I meand to say the OP tells about a kind of rock that is found and then thinks it is called Amathyst.

I simply suppose that someone who finds Amathyst doesn't reffer to it as a rock?

So I am not correcting someone but simply asking myself if we're talking about the same thing.
I understood what you meant! I think a lot of people forget that sometimes we are on different sides of the world, so some things are lost in translation. However, I’ll now start calling you our geologist! Lol

Anyway, OP, many answered your question but I also know a lot of people who use them in tanks.

Lynn78too
Hohohoho Lynn,

Next time someone comments on my diamond ring and refers to it as a "rock" I'm going to be like, "Oh no, it's a mineral."

Yes, I'm a geology major, I just assume that some people don't always want or care about using proper terminology. Myself included.

Fanatic
Amethyst is a beautiful stone, it's becoming common to keep in a lot of aquariums nowadays, it's perfectly safe.

DoubleDutch
Next time someone comments on my diamond ring and refers to it as a "rock" I'm going to be like, "Oh no, it's a mineral."

Yes, I'm a geology major, I just assume that some people don't always want or care about using proper terminology. Myself included.
Hahahaha isn't that carbon? This thread somehow reminds me of "The Flintstones" hihihi

Still anxious to know if the OP really is talking about Amathist which is awesome.

Geodes normally have a base mineral they are attached to (or where inside of) that could contain suspect materials that might mess with ph or be toxic in an aquarium setting.
Anorher thing I was anxious about : Is it a geode hahaha.

Kysarkel000
Sorry for taking so long to reply! Been busy working!

Anyways, here is the "rock" (lol, I know its not really a rock) it is definitely amethyst.

I haven't cleaned it yet, but the darker flecks on the crystals have always been there. The bottom side is kinda green.

Sorry my geology terminology isint up to par lol

Thanks for looking!
MVIMG_20190401_005926.jpg
MVIMG_20190401_005931.jpg

DoubleDutch

Anyways, here is the "rock" (lol, I know its not really a rock) it is definitely amethyst.

I haven't cleaned it yet, but the darker flecks on the crystals have always been there. The bottom side is kinda green.

Thanks for looking!View attachment 542644View attachment 542645
It is awesome. Wished I could find "rocks" like that overhere hahaha.

Completely correct. It will look great !

DoubleDutch

Thanks for looking!View attachment 542644View attachment 542645
Saw these today in Germany. Immediately had to think of your thread.

One needs some tank to use these in though hahaha.
4ae60b78b32ab0616ce49e3a516dfaa1.jpg
d87e3634fb520d69ed14791a7e51263a.jpg

PheonixKingZ
How much was that thing!!? Lol! If you clean it properly, could you put any gem stone in a tank? Like if I cleaned this one correctly, could I put it in my tank??

All of these rocks are super pretty, and would look great in a tank!
image.jpg

david1978
The vinger test would see if there inert or not.

Kysarkel000
Saw these today in Germany. Immediately had to think of your thread.

One needs some tank to use these in though hahaha.
4ae60b78b32ab0616ce49e3a516dfaa1.jpg
d87e3634fb520d69ed14791a7e51263a.jpg
Wow! So pretty!! Wish I could afford a tank that'd fit one of those pieces, let alone one of those pieces lol

DoubleDutch
Wow! So pretty!! Wish I could afford a tank that'd fit one of those pieces, let alone one of those pieces lol
The first one was € 2.800,--.
Second wasn't even prized

david1978
The first one was € 2.800,--.
Second wasn't even prized
For that price you should of gotten 2.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Princethepurplebetta
Replies
Views