American Green Tree Frogs

lilydv
I'm thinking about getting a green tree frog, but have a few questions before I do. Does anyone have/had or know anything about them?

BReefer97
What do you need to know? They need a TALL enclosure, not wide. A medium sized ZooMed or Exo-Terra terrarium would be perfect.

You would want to set the tank up with a layer of gravel (half an inch to an inch), then a layer of mesh (so the eco earth doesn’t mix in the with gravel), and top it off with some damp (not dripping, just moist) coconut fiber/eco earth. When you spray/mist him down, the water will drip down into the drainage layer of gravel and evaporate back up into the substrate - keeping the humidity where you want it. You’ll also want tall vines and plants in the enclosure. You could do fake plants, but real ones help with humidity. Pothos plants and some soft succulents are great options.

As for feeding, I mainly just feed crickets.

Rojer Ramjet
A reptile "fogger" is really, really handy.

BReefer97
A reptile "fogger" is really, really handy.

I agree, but if you only have a single tree frog a simple spray bottle would suffice. They’re pretty pricey and we only have one because we breed crested geckos.

Rojer Ramjet
I agree, but if you only have a single tree frog a simple spray bottle would suffice. They’re pretty pricey and we only have one because we breed crested geckos.
I think I paid $60 for mine; it's one of the Zoo Med - used to keep fire belly toads in a riparium with some Bichers. One of the kids is using it as a room humidifier; he has a bit of a cold.

BReefer97
I think I paid $60 for mine; it's one of the Zoo Med - used to keep fire belly toads in a riparium with some Bichers. One of the kids is using it as a room humidifier; he has a bit of a cold.

Yeah but $60 to spray down a single tree frog is a bit much, as compared to a $3 spray bottle that does the job just as well.

Rojer Ramjet
Yeah but $60 to spray down a single tree frog is a bit much, as compared to a $3 spray bottle that does the job just as well.
I guess it's all relative, no? I spend the money because of convenience. Which is why I said "they're really nice."

lilydv
Thank You! I think you answered most my questions. Do they need supplements? Also do you have a green tree frog? (if so can I see a pic of your setup?)

lilydv
Can I feed them wax worms and meal worms every now and then?

Aquilist
Have you set up your tank yet? If so, please add a photo!!

BReefer97
Can I feed them wax worms and meal worms every now and then?

You sure can! Is the frog you’re getting just a normal green tree frog or is it a red eye tree frog? Or even possibly a White’s/Dumpy tree frog? The care is all relatively the same besides the White’s frog, they’re a larger frog that requires less height and humidity than the other two species. I would suggest feeding dubia roaches as well as they’re way better than crickets nutrient wise, and they don’t smell awful!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquilist
Replies
Views
BornThisWayBettas
Replies
Views
marijo
Replies
Views