American Flagfish temperament

Joshaeus

Hi everyone! I've heard conflicting reports on how best to keep flagfish, Jordanella floridae. Some sources suggest keeping them in groups like other pupfishes; others report that when kept in groups, the dominant pair tends to steadily murder all the subordinate fishes in the tank. Any personal insights as to this (very confusing) fish's behavior, including with other species? Thanks (PS...I briefly kept a pair of this species before, but it lasted only a few months and might not have been long enough to assess their behavior. They seemed docile enough, but their tank mates included three large black paradise fish males that may have kept them in line).

Kribensis27

I think they all prefer to have their own territory. As long as the tank is large and there are ample hiding spaces with lots of live plants, they should do fine together. If the tank is small and bare, there will definitely be aggression. Of course it all depends on individual temperament, but if they have a place to escape each other, aggression should be limited.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Joshaeus
Replies
Views
veggieshark
Replies
Views
DracarysBettasSD
Replies