American Flagfish Questions

Discussion in 'Killifish' started by MattS99, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I've been working on getting a new tank, and the American flagfish seems pretty interesting to me. I've done a bit of research, but just want more details. Simple stuff, like minimum tank size, temperature, tank mates, diet.

2. RobM

RobMValued MemberMember

Jordanella floridae – Florida Flagfish (Cyprinodon floridae)

3. NatalyaWell Known MemberMember

I think he said he did some research; i assume he has seen that site and others and found that information is contradictory, so he wants first hand opinion.
    Sorry, I don't have any experience with flagfish!

4. OP
    OP
    MattS99

Exactly. I trust your opinions a bit more than a 30 second Google search.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Males are territorial, and can be aggressive toward other types of fish, not just their own species. I have seen some males that were much bigger than the 2.25 inches given as max, but they were exceptional individuals. Generally, they don't get much more than 1.75 inches. I would also say they require more space than other fish of that size, mostly due to the aggression factor. A single male in a 15 gallon tank, or two males in a long 20, with several females.

Not picky eaters, but certainly seem to like filamentous algae. Water temperature should be on the cooler side, I have collected them in small, shallow streams with a lot of vegetation. This was around the middle of Florida, well east of Bradenton. I didn't check the water chemistry, forgot my meters, so I don't have that data. I need to go back someday.

6. OP
    OP
    MattS99

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks. Would you keep them in a species only tank, or try to make some kind of community? I've heard that they're nippers and that they should be kept with smaller, faster schooling fish.

7. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I generally don't keep community tanks, so I can't make recommendations as to tank mates. Fish breed better in single species tanks, so that is how I keep them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice