American Flagfish help

fallfever

I have kept a lot of fish but never an american flagfish. My wonderful local LFS has a tank full of them for the first time I've seen and I'm curious if anyone has any insight into how they might fit into my 55 gallon community tank. I've read about them and opinions are all over the place. My tank is 8 plus years old and has experienced some attrition just due to the age of the tank. It has hatchets, cories, harlequins, rummies and a few glass cats - all peaceful but quite active despite being older fish. I'm curious how they they might fit in and how large a group would be ideal. I have other tanks but they are all full of SA cichlids that would have them for lunch, so no backup plan is available outside of a quarantine tank. Thanks!

Demeter

I ordered a group of 5 flag fish on a whim without doing too much researching other than their basic needs. I added them to a 29gal with a school of resident choprae danios and growing out male guppies, BN plecos and a few bettas. Those little snots when nuts and nipped just about everyone's fins. No species was spared and I moved the group to a 10gal planted tank I was using for a couple male bettas (bettas were moved of course). They remain in that 10gal to this day, all getting on perfectly fine despite having just one female in the group. They are nice to each other, not so nice to other species.

In a larger tank with fast moving species that do not have long fins I think they could be okay, but I'd have a backup plan just in case. They are neat little fish and tame down pretty well considering the ones I have are wild caught. I bought mine for a bit of algae control as I heard they like hair and staghorn algae, I was hoping they would clean up some driftwood that has been colonized by green brush algae. Needless to say they did not touch that algae but the fuzz growing on some hornwort has become manageable.

Upvote 0

fallfever

Thanks for the input demeter. This is such a well established and friendly tank that I think I'll pass on the flags for now. My cichlids provide plenty of the occasional drama already and I really don't have a good backup plan for smaller fish, just the larger guys. I just needed a nudge in that direction.

Upvote 0

wishuponafish

They seem to be very selective in their aggression, I've kept them in several tanks with a variety of fish like danios, minnows, neon tetras, peacock gudgeons, livebearers, gouramis, dwarf cichlids, etc. The only fish they ever attacked was honey gouramis, and they roughed them up quite badly.

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom