American Cichlid Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Paulsz, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Paulsz

Paulsz Valued Member Member

Hi all,

Looking to stock a 55 gallon tank. Was thinking of going with a SA or CA cichlid tank. I'd want maybe 1 of each species (unless it's better to get otherwise). Would it be possible to keep any of these together:

- Bolivian rams
    - Firemouth
    - Acara (Blue or Electric Blue)
    - Convict
    - Severum
    - Rainbow
    - Green terror
    - any other ones that you may know

Obviously not all of these can be put together (and not in a 55 gallon), but i'm open to any combinations you guys are familiar with. As for sex, what is the general rule of thumb here? all female?

Thanks

2. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I don't know if you have any interest in the sajica "t-bar" cichlid or not, but they're relatively peaceful - you could easily stock one in a 55 gal with a rainbow cichlid.

3. The Senator

The Senator Valued Member Member

Have you considered Keyhole Cichlids?

Most Severum's and the green terror will need more tank than a 55.

A couple keyholes plus a group of Bolivians and a shoal of Buenos Aires Tetras would be nice, IMO

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    Paulsz

I will add sajica to the list, as well as keyhole cichlids :) ultimately, it will end up being whatever my LFS has, but I was just looking for combination ideas that you guys had. I know they carry blue acaras, firemouths. bolivians, rainbow and convicts. I believe I've seen keyholes as well, now that I think about it.

So the severum and green terror are out in that case. Thanks for the info! Last thing I'd want is a cichlid tank with unhappy, aggressive fish

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I think that the most likely combination to work (if doing 3 species as I don't think you can do anymore than that) would be a rainbow, eb acara, and bolivian ram. Unfortunately with cichlids it's all up to the individual fish. You may get a bolivian ram that can't be with anything else and you may get one that is pretty accepting. I would stay away from the sev and green terror (as others have suggested) as well as the blue acara. EB acaras are a bit smaller and more peaceful (as they share genetics with the EB Ram). So if I were trying to maximize the number of species I could keep in a 55 that's what I'd do. A single keyhole might work as a replacement but they can be quite skittish and timid if kept singly. So I would keep that in mind

If I were trying to stock the tank though to have some very nice interactions, I would probably do a pair of rainbow cichlids, and a pair of sajicas. Both are central american and the sajicas will have the look and feel of a convict (lots of personality) without the aggressiveness most times. Another option would be to do a single species of cichlid and try a community. Start out with 6-8 very young cichlids (rainbows, sajicas, rams, or firemouths) of 1 species and let them grow together. You may have to rehome some here or there but depending on the species you may be able to get away with 2 males and 3-4 females. Throw in some dithers and maybe a catfish or two and you've got a very entertaining tank.

6. OP
    OP
    Paulsz

How would I go about getting a pair of rainbows and a pair of sajica? One male one female of each? Or is it necessary to buy 1 male /3 females of each and wait for them to pair up and give the rest away?

7. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I would try to buy 6 or so of each species very young (like an inch in length) and let them grow up together. So for a time you'll have something like 12 cichlids in the tank (and that's it). You'll want to put plenty of pieces of driftwood/caves/flower pots/plants for hiding places for the little guys. Soon, they will get some size to them and you'll be able to identify a dominant male. You may have to rehome a few here and there along the way but the goal is for that dominant male to pair up with one of the females. At that point I would remove the rest of the members of that species.

8. OP
    OP
    Paulsz

Oh okay I see. Thanks! :)

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would do either a convict or firemouth with a blue acara and a rainbow cichlid.
    Severums and GTs are too big, I believe.

10. OP
    OP
    Paulsz

Blue acara or electric blue? Also, would females be better if I go that route?

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Either would work. Females would be better, except for the convict, males tend to be more peaceful. It doesn't matter for the rainbow cichlid. But a female acara would definitely be ideal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice