American Alligators

Phinny12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A few months back..around Late July, a LFS in my area had a American Alligator for sale. It was in a large aquarium and was very aggitated.I said to one of the employees " Isn't that illegal to sell an alligator that size" ( it appeared to be @ 3 ft long) He said " if it was 1.5 inches longer it would be". A week later it was gone. I asked about it and was told someone bought him. Near the end of September a American Alligator, matching his length and general description was discovered in a local creek and shot...dead. I live in Pennsylvania and I am sure American Alligators are not native to this area so chances are it was the same one in the LFS. This p.o.ed me to no end.Last week I want to the LFS to get filters for my tank..and there was another American alligator about half his size in a tank looking....trapped. Once again I approached the clerk and recounted the story of the American gator in the local creek...shot dead. and asked if they thought it was a good idea to sell these animals in this area to people who apparently don't know how to care for such a creature and treat it as some kind of novelty item and would it not be a better idea to leave them where they should be. He said it was up to the owner of the LFS.
Does this bother any of you as much as it bothers me?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
:'( That's very sad. They should be reported, honestly, is it legal to even own them?

What an irresponsible LFS.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes. Alligators should not be legal to sell in a situation such as you describe. There are, I'm sure, hobbyists capable of caring for them, and I think that they should be able to get such creatures if they wish, but I think they should get them directly from alligator farms. Too many people buy critters like this (or like the softshell we were talking about in the other thread), and then start thinking about how big they're going to get.

So check this out

This article claims that Pennsylvania does not regulate the sale of alligators as pets.
Write a letter to your state-level politicians letting them know what a problem this is. Refer them to articles like the one above, if you're willing to do the work.

Phinny12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am wondering that too.. There has to be some law about selling/keeping these animals. I believe that like the clerk said he gets around it by some kind of size limit. It seems to me this law should be changed! Surley there are "alligator people" who really know what they are doing and how to handle these animals ..but to just sell them at the LFS to the general public??? And you know there are people who would purchase such a creature just to have it cause it's a cool thing and know nothing about it....that burns me up.

Phinny12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the link sirdarksol ...like I said I am sure there are "Alligator People" who are knowledgable... but they are not the people getting them at the LFS.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Phinny12 said:
Thanks for the link sirdarksol ...like I said I am sure there are "Alligator People" who are knowledgable... but they are not the people getting them at the LFS.
Precisely. It's like arrowana and pacu. The people who have tanks large enough to keep them aren't likely to get the fish at Petsmart, yet Petsmart continues to stock them.

pinkfloydpuffer

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alligators are definitely a creature that should be left alone unless someone is more than adequately prepared to care for them throughout their whole natural lives. It's definitely wrong that the store is selling them like that. Makes me sick.

Phinny12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I Agree 100%! I'm writing a letter now!

lilFishyfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is so sick, I don't understand what is wrong with people. To bad the humanes society can't get involved!!!!!!!!!!(Iknow this really has nothing to do with your post) but I remember reading a "forum" online for people looking for exotic animals and among many insane postings that made me sick like people wanting endangered animals (people that could barely spell or write a sentence) and so on..... there was someone saying they wanted a chimpanzee because it would be cool and so on and they didn't have a lot of money so they didn't want to pay a lot for it......Its amazing how many people only want a pet so they can say "LOOK WHAT I HAVE AS A PET". Even though they don't want to have to care for the animal in the long run, they just want to be COOL and then move on to the next thing. SICK!!!!

Phinny12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are absolutly right about that lilFishyfish...I believe that is what happened to the first Alligator...someone got him to be cool and then realized they could not handle the animal and dumped him into a cold creek where he was dicovered and killed...I am infuriated!

Wilhelm Joshua Tan

Valued Member
Reaction score
1st

1st, you need a pond and 2nd, they kill people.

Phinny12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well put Wilhelm Joshua Tan.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wilhelm Joshua Tan said:
1st, you need a pond and 2nd, they kill people.
While American alligators are not maneaters (they aren't even really considered all that dangerous if you aren't messing with them), they can definitely hurt you. Even a slightly over-exuberant lunge for a feeding could leave you short a finger. They definitely need a pond.

Wilhelm Joshua Tan

Valued Member
Reaction score
know

sirdarksol said:
While American alligators are not maneaters (they aren't even really considered all that dangerous if you aren't messing with them), they can definitely hurt you. Even a slightly over-exuberant lunge for a feeding could leave you short a finger. They definitely need a pond.
I know that but if you are not careful or maybe it thought that you are let say a deer or a raccoon, surely they'll kill you.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wilhelm Joshua Tan said:
I know that but if you are not careful or maybe it thought that you are let say a deer or a raccoon, surely they'll kill you.
You're underestimating the intelligence of these animals. They recognize humans as too dangerous of prey, and would not mistake a human as a deer or a raccoon. Only a very desperate (either due to extreme hunger or due to feeling threatened) alligator will attack an adult human.
American crocodiles, on the other hand, tend to be a bit more vicious, and more likely to feel threatened if their space is encroached upon. They are still not as notorious maneaters (attacking solely for food) as Nile crocs or saltwater crocs, but they do periodically attack humans when unprovoked.

Like I said, an over exuberant lunge for food could leave you missing digits, or a feeling of being threatened could leave you severely injured, but an American alligator is very unlikely to kill a human without extreme provocation.

Butters

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I know that a big pet store in Milwaukee has about 3 or 4 alligators on display and they look pretty cool. They are in a pit that is pretty big and there turtles in there with them... and theres a big sign next to the pit that say ALLIGATORS NOT FOR SALE! that made me happy when I saw it.

Red wag platy

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is pretty bad. I remember talking to someone at a reptile show who said they heard about someone who had a Nile Crocidile in Virginia.

Phinny12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
These poor dudes are in large aquariums..not at al adequate for an Alligator. They seem to be very agitated. Also people tap on the glass kids are peering in...I feel bad about them being there.
I went in there Saturday and the smaller one is gone. I hope he too does not end up in the creek ...or worse.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom